Climbing Set ups

JackRoy

Hi, so here is the thing.

I've been climbing for 4 years and loving it. But I'm looking at changing altering my current climbing set up.

I have always used the set up I was taught with and the very common prussic loop friction hitch and with bowling/spliced eye (I will just say has never let me down and works very well) but I'm looking at mixing it up and learning new systems for example, adding a pulley in or different knots. what every ones advice and what systems do they climb with ?

Cheers me Dears :biggrin:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, so here is the thing.

I've been climbing for 4 years and loving it. But I'm looking at changing altering my current climbing set up.

I have always used the set up I was taught with and the very common prussic loop friction hitch and with bowling/spliced eye (I will just say has never let me down and works very well) but I'm looking at mixing it up and learning new systems for example, adding a pulley in or different knots. what every ones advice and what systems do they climb with ?

Cheers me Dears :biggrin:

Well that's a loaded question. Check out the Rope wrench thread and Hitch Hiker threads. There are much better friction hitches than what you using. For example: simplest for Drt is Blakes hitch and add a micro pulley which is more efficient. Then there are many popular high performances hitches such as the Vt which is super efficient but will take some time to use SAFEly. Check out the videos and your online arborist supplier. Good luck on your venture and remember low and slow until your very confident.

VT with a hitchclimber and an eyesplice, on the D rings a dynamic lanyard (unicore) with a cinch and in the top I use a pulleysaver soft eye config.

Works great for pruning jobs, some other setups I use involve the Unicender, rope wrench, lockjack and rig....

Try some out but remember to try it low and slow, kitchentable is the best height to try it out ;-)

Good luck and climb safe

I think the short answer is that many arborists are always experimenting with different ways to do what we do :thumbup:

The main thing is mechanical or prusik and srt or drt.

Get yourself to an arb shop to get your paws on some different kit, ask your mates to have a jam on their systems, get experimenting :thumbup:

Be aware that a lot of the gear out there is far less forgiving than a basic prusik so play smart and stay safe. Apart from that its what works best for you :001_smile:

VT/distel with a hitchclimber is a nice step up and if you decide you like it then check out the zig zag that is coming out soon :001_cool:

I was the same as you until this year. There's now loads of options- wench, spider jack, lock jack, zigzag (in Feb13), numerous hitch systems - possibly including an O-rig system. Its mind boggling.

Best thing is to get to a rec climb and try other peoples and get ideas from them about which ropes to use as this makes a lot of difference.

What ever you decide to go for, take it steady but persist. Get a good week of climbing on it and you won't look back.

I currently climb on a hitch using the distel. Preordered the Zig zag and would like to try out SRT again with the wrench.

Where abouts are you?

If you've not already , get yourself a friction saver. (basic cambium saver is fine)

Then look at the hitch climber set-up. Not expensive to try and not like either , you only need a couple of oval krabs and the pulley.

I would recommend using it with a Distel hitch or even better , a Knut. They are both very safe , grabby hitchs. The VT can be tempermental.

I've just got a friend using it who was in the same situation as you. He's loving it already and can see all the advantages after just a few climbs.