joe into trees

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Joe

Another good video. Really liked the technique to use either side if the srt line with the ability to lower as well.

Just wondered if ART were thinking of changing the diameter of the ali ring on the snake anchor, to make the cambium saver setup retrievable using the ART retrieval ball?

Sent from my GT-S5360 using Tapatalk 2

also curious when using the RIG to rescue a climber did you operate his rig with two hands? I am not familiar with it but it was my understanding it required two hands for controlled descent.

the last function you demonstrate with the equilized TIP is the coolest attribute.

Edited by kevin bingham

Having 2 of these on a pole dismantle would be great SRT 1 for a base tie with rescue option then a 2nd as a chocked tie in point. with this option you could speed the up the rescue but only having the rescue climber removing the casualties spikes and strop, although it would need a 3rd groundsman but still very effective.

Even when the rescue is not needed the top chocked tie in point I feel would be a great adjustable and safer benefit than just chocking the rope on the stem.

In the interests of Kevin's answer to his question, I feel I maybe purchasing a few of these, would also make some great energy absorbing redirects to, :thumbup1:

Is it possible or safe to use knots straight to the snake anchor spacers instead of a bina? To remove hardware on base anchors I'm thinking:001_smile:

I just checked and £50+ vat is a good price for a multi use piece of gear.

I would like one actually because of the simplicity and security when used as a base anchor. Still not going to buy one but I can clearly see the benefits.

It's a really well thought out product isn't it. Good job ART 👍.

have you ever broken a stitched section when climbing? either on purpose or a slip? trying to get an idea how much a fall 4kn would be.

Hi Kevin

To be honest, I reckon you'd have to be doing something really badly to rip one out. The drop test in the video was our third or fourth attempt to cause a ripout - we started by dropping a 60kg log about 2 metres... then 4 metres... but the system had too many dynamic elements: we used a dynamic climbing rope running through a pulley suspended by a second rigging line, etc etc.

To get it to break, we had to use static line (which we should have done at the beginning) and drop a 120kg log quite a long way.

None of that is the remotest bit scientific (guessed log weight by Scott and me not being able to pick it up) but the conclusion I arrived at is that you'd never tear a section in day-to-day climbing: you'd pretty much have to break your TIP and fall onto a lower branch.

Yes, you're dead right about the RIG. Petzl say "one hand on lever and one on rope".

Adam, I guess you might be able to use knots instead of hardware, but I reckon you'd loose a lot of the benefit - not sure knots would slide along the line in the event of a fall... and if they did, it would probably be a bad thing?

OneLab, ART do make a similar product - the LightAnchor - which uses a ring that retrieves on the ART ball. Scott Forrest pointed out that the cambium saver setup would be better done by setting up the SnakeAnchor the other way round to how I did in the video, and retrieving it with a clip below the carabiner... if that makes sense? That way it's the ring which pulls out over the union, and you could use the retrieval ball?

Edited by joe into trees