Logs or billets?

Dave177

I like the idea of being able to stack them out side and cut them to order, ideal if you have limited covered storage.

Out of interest how long does it take to split 1 cubic meter of billets and how long does it take to run them through a crosscut with elevator?

I like the idea of being able to stack them out side and cut them to order, ideal if you have limited covered storage.

Out of interest how long does it take to split 1 cubic meter of billets and how long does it take to run them through a crosscut with elevator?

Don't tend to take much notice of how long each stage takes, too many variables and you just get consumed by numbers. Just get them all split and stacked by end of winter, season over the summer, sell from october onwards - simples!

These stacks of Laylandii took about 45 minutes to split and stack a cube.

5976628f42128_Logpile2012.jpg.153a1e7fc09214f46754fd71b21a8265.jpg

not an urgent question but im just trying to get the ball rolling for next year.

Currently I only have undercover storage for around 10 cube of logs and as much outdoor storage as I need (within reason) also have a few crates that I store logs in but not as many as I would like! looking to be processing and selling 70-100 cube next winter

Would I be better off cutting and splitting as logs and leaving outside under a membrane and moving into the shed as I need them this is what I currently do and it involves lots of double handling so not good at all!

so I am considering splitting into billets and stacking with some membrane over the top this would be tidier than a big heap of logs but would there be much benefit in drying and speed over the logs and in the shed option?

all will be cut with a chainsaw and split by axe or hydraulic splitter?

any other ideas?

I am fairly new to the firewood business but this is my ten pence worth.

To be honest I was not really aware of the systems available for drying in billets until this years APF show but we have gone down the logs route. We only do this part time and are looking at 60-80m3 per season. Our system is dead easy, we log and split straight into IBC cages, then using the removed plastic tanks fabricate lids and then leave to dry outside. We then have brought in what we can fit into a barn to finish before delivery. Obviously this requires some investment in the cages and a tractor or forklift for moving around but the results have proved very satisfactory. I don't see the advantage of being able to cut to order should matter as you are looking at only doing small quantity's so should sell out easily.

Wow, its all billets here! I shifted 150m last year, split and cut by hand (chainsaw and maul) a few wedges help, but I prefer to use the shards of wood that splinter off. if you have to cut them free with the saw when you meet a big knot then the chain has no risk of snagging. I have split 2 meter billets to speed their seasoning with the maul, beech while green, no probs!

We get 50 euros a 0.7m3 delivered & stacked, cant waste effort double handleing, all hardwood, no time to handle onto saw horse, pick up off deck, place on chopping block or splitter, load into crates, move crates to storage area, unload into truck, unload, stack in customers wood shed etc.

Edited by normandylumberjack
adding 2 peneth

This is very interesting as currently we do option 1 under "Logging Up" see below and the productivity is low and frustrating (with powered splitter tho).

http://www.tree-shop.co.uk/images/fact_sheets/FactSheet4.pdf

I have the space to stack pallets of billets and am reckoning this might well speed up drying time since my open fronted shed backs into the wind and seasoning seems slow in there???

I could then go down the saw route and hold off on the processor???

Question - how should one stack the billets? Pics above show one level of two billets alternating with a full level and so on and then others show full levels at 90 degrees to each other? One clearly gets more airflow but uses more space... What's the official way?!