growforest

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

probaly planted wen the houses were built, any body know wen they were built

The adjacent house is probably around the 1900, the others in the local are more likely after WW2 as the Antrim Road area took massive hits during the Biltz - Belfast being a prize target for the German bombers with its ship yard etc...

I passed the tree earlier today. The BCC tree officer and some other suites were having a meeting at it. More talks no doubt. I got some pictures which I,ll post tomorrow when I,m on a real computer. I measured the stem. At 1m above base it,s 41" diameter. It,s a mighty fine specimen, but the footpath adjacent is trashed.

They could always widen the footpath on the tree side and narrow the footpath on the opposite side of the road to allow the road to stay the same width. The footpaths are really wide for a quiet residential area - just a thought:001_smile:

Dont know if you guys would agree, but I often find too much resources ie time and money is spent on saving trees that really should go. And then theres nothing being done for some superb specimens dotted around.

That house looks within striking distance, and if that tree uproots and falls upon the house, I bet the owner won't be telling the council, 'no worries there, the tree was more important. I'll pick up the tab on my house'.

I remember moving some trees in Dublin for a road widening project. Local residents were in arms with the trees being cut, so I got called to shift them, to a local park.

All was fine until the end of the day, when 1 resident came out with the councils head dudes, giving out about the tree blocking her view.

The tree was a 40cm Birch and was planted 80m from her boundary wall, and 95m from her kitchen window (lucky I had my vertex lazer!).

Tree was chipped 5 mins later.

Motto- You can never please them all!

Dont know if you guys would agree, but I often find too much resources ie time and money is spent on saving trees that really should go. And then theres nothing being done for some superb specimens dotted around.

That house looks within striking distance, and if that tree uproots and falls upon the house, I bet the owner won't be telling the council, 'no worries there, the tree was more important. I'll pick up the tab on my house'.

I remember moving some trees in Dublin for a road widening project. Local residents were in arms with the trees being cut, so I got called to shift them, to a local park.

All was fine until the end of the day, when 1 resident came out with the councils head dudes, giving out about the tree blocking her view.

The tree was a 40cm Birch and was planted 80m from her boundary wall, and 95m from her kitchen window (lucky I had my vertex lazer!).

Tree was chipped 5 mins later.

Motto- You can never please them all!

Broadly, yes I agree, people get too hung up on a single specimen and it becomes a "cause celebre"

I agree with not wasting excessive resources saving something that it a dead duck as long as there is discussion and thought given to establish that. This tree is a mighty fine specimen, beautiful straight clear stem etc etc - it just has some issues surrounding its intregration with its streetscape.

For scale, those are 3ft road kerbs in front of it.

Beech.2.jpg.48f77222fbb11ac3ec4ca14575c09f52.jpg[/ATTACH]

Beech.1.jpg.4e654404c96086bfa5650b40479e8d41.jpg