Do trees think?

mikecotterill

Right here goes the numpty question of the year. Not sure if its been covered before or not, but I was thinking the other day, how does a tree know its got a wound and how does it know to grow over it. There's probably something really obvious here that I've missed :)

Quoted from; Crown Pruning Effects on Roots

by Dr. Kim D. Coder, University of Georgia, USA

Across cell membranes in a tree is a small but measurable concentration gradient of electrons from inside to outside. Inside the cells, a high levels of electrons are maintained by photosynthesis which acts as an electron pump.

Trees are extremely sensitive to electron loss through damage, pest attack, or environmental changes. Rapid increases in electron flow to the environment are sensed instantaneously.

A trees reaction in order to slow electron loss is called compartmentalization.

Alex Shigo did some work on this years ago, when a drill bit was used to create a hole only in the outer bark, chemical changes occured in the surrounding undamaged tissue.

The definition "Mind" cannot be defined to having a brain.

Mind:

2. The collective conscious and unconscious processes in a sentient organism that direct and influence mental and physical behavior

(More physical than mental for obvious reasons)

Gathered from here

mind - definition of mind by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Are trees sentient?

Do robots dream of electric sheep?

Check out the copper beech @ 13:40

"Oh I'm sorry, I'm so very sorry, it will heal, it will heal, I promise !"

Tales Of The Unexpected Series 4 Episode 7 - the sound machine. - YouTube

Brilliant David, I often tell learners about that program but couldn't remember what it was called:thumbup: betting you're a Douglas Adams fan too?

Regards

Dave

This is fascinating stuff - seems like trees are to some degree cognitive - unlike the operative who carried on chipping while the boss took the truck to empty it (can't recall who's story it was but some things can never be forgotten)

• 2 weeks later...
Right here goes the numpty question of the year. Not sure if its been covered before or not, but I was thinking the other day, how does a tree know its got a wound and how does it know to grow over it. There's probably something really obvious here that I've missed :)

Mike Cotteral...