which mechanical prussik do i choose

arnoldbuchsassinger

Gonna plunge into the world of mechanical prussik, have been watching the video of the petzl zig zag, does not seem to self tend quite as well as the sj2.1. Has this thread already taken place else where or am i just late to the party.

Both look pretty, both do the same thing, both cost quite a lot of money, the zig zag will no doubt be revised once we have found issues. Thoughts please.....keep it sensible and on topic

I keep looking at them all, but I can't bring myself to take any of them up.

The cost of wearing parts concerns me.

The fact that impending failures can be well hidden is a niggle.

The cost is a problem.

But mostly I just love the feel of a tied bit of rope....

If I was going to go for any it would be the Unicender....

But I reckon I'll be friction hitch till I die man.....

No it doesn't, it creates a bend in the rope to allow a hitch to function on a single line

No it doesn't. Additional friction is created at the hitch's attachment point- the 'dogbone' and and at the steel krab. No bending of the rope - that's the rope wrench.

For just drt try the latest SJ imo.

No it doesn't. Additional friction is created at the hitch's attachment point- the 'dogbone' and and at the steel krab. No bending of the rope - that's the rope wrench.

For just drt try the latest SJ imo.

That's right and I said it works A BIT like a mechanical Prussik but I meant in terms of feel as well as function.

I agree with Caorann, if solely for DRT get an SJ otherwise the HH provides an alternative. So does a Unicender.

Edited by Old Mill Tree Care