Cutter Heading to NZ

Hwks208

You obviously havent been around the crews in the Central plateau. Some mean as Maoris in this part of town.

haha i am well aware , as for the tickets thats good news for the industry

ive done days subbing for contractors here and there and you do have to be 100% on the game when falling even a very very experienced contractor i know recently had a moment when things went pear shaped and caved in his helmet, its hard to keep on the ball when felling then walking to the next tree then felling ,complacency is a killer.

very bad news about the faller

I’ve worked with the type of Kiwi described here.

Yes they are scary to look at, they are rough and ready. Even redneck, and maybe not the brightest of sparks. I’d certainly be careful using irony around them as they will take it literally.

But they are not thugs, in that they don’t engage in wanton violence. They tend to burn with a long fuse, I know because I’ve tested one or two of them myself. You can work with these guys quite safely with no need to fear them in the way that you might fear a bunch of Milwall fans.

The English thug will attack for no reason or very slight reason…These guys will never do that.

• 1 month later...
I’ve worked with the type of Kiwi described here.

Yes they are scary to look at, they are rough and ready. Even redneck, and maybe not the brightest of sparks. I’d certainly be careful using irony around them as they will take it literally.

But they are not thugs, in that they don’t engage in wanton violence. They tend to burn with a long fuse, I know because I’ve tested one or two of them myself. You can work with these guys quite safely with no need to fear them in the way that you might fear a bunch of Milwall fans.

The English thug will attack for no reason or very slight reason…These guys will never do that.

I don't want to tar them all with the same brush but things are changing rapidly in NZ. The gang culture is getting stronger and wanton violence is definately on the rise. Stabbings and shootings are becoming more regular news items and although this doesn't neccessarily apply to forestry I can vouch for several workers that I have met that have a very short fuse. There are also a lot of young guys that are now being pushed into forestry rather than claiming benefit. These are the guys I was meaning were not the brightest sparks. Many have no option but to take the training in order to keep claiming benefit. The local chainsaw shop has an influx of second hand saws come the end of the training or a few months into the season as the trainees start flogging off the gear to pay for the next ounce. Turangi is a strong forestry town, one of the main employers in the region is the industry so you get to see a lot of these guys first hand. The older guys who have been in the industry for a while are good buggers but a lot of the younger generation? Not so much.