Cutter Heading to NZ

Hwks208

Hi, I'm heading out to New Zealand around March time for a look around and want to do abit of work out there aswell. Is there much work for cutters out there? I'v got 4 years of experience cutting and winching. I've got my basic felling and cross cutting ticket and skidding and winching ticket. Would it be worth going for any more tickets before I go?

Thanks

Sam :thumbup1:

Forestry work isn't like it is in the UK. It's Pine tree after Pine tree after Pine tree with maybe the odd Gum and Doug Fir thrown in for good luck. Outfits are often looking for fellers, skid haulers and processors but its not a glamour job and a lot of the guys doing forestry are hard core. You might want to do a bit of research first or maybe trying to hook up with some small time contractors who do a mix of work e.g.State Highway clearance, wood lots etc.

Working the guy in our yard the other day, he did 9yrs of forestry work here in NZ, they did 3 weeks on 1 week off. Camped out at the site for three weeks and worked every day for the 3 weeks. There is always work at the big arb company's in Auckland, Treescape or Asplundh.

To verify what Taupo said. The Guys that do forestry are more likely to bare knuckle fight to pass time. Do magical substances etc. From what I heard you feel like a little boy in a prison of hardened thugs.

Didn't get to try for myself.

haha come on guys , its true that the forestry boys are tough but dont be put off it can be great work it just depends on what your looking to get out of it , im sure you wouldnt have to much trouble finding a job with your tickets as in the forestry industry they do matter but its experience that they will look at , good luck

haha come on guys , its true that the forestry boys are tough but dont be put off it can be great work it just depends on what your looking to get out of it , im sure you wouldnt have to much trouble finding a job with your tickets as in the forestry industry they do matter but its experience that they will look at , good luck

You obviously havent been around the crews in the Central plateau. Some mean as Maoris in this part of town.

And unfortunately, H&S now dictates that you need the tickets to do the job. OSH came out recently and said that you are 7 times a likely to die in the industry in NZ as you are in the UK or Europe. There's a big push now to straighten the industry out and I'd imagine its going to get even bigger with stats like that. Turangi (my home town) is a big forestry town and most of the contractors I know won't even look at you without both tickets AND experience unless you want to work for pocket change. A guy dies last week when a tree fell on him. I think that's 30 odd for the year. Probably best to ring some of the bigger logging companies and get the info from them.