Advice for new starter

Robin Jacob

Hello everyone!

I am hoping some of you might be willing to give me some advice as I'm considering moving into the Arboriculture industry.

Dad had a small logging company before I was born and the house I grew up in only had a wood burner for heating, so I started to use a chainsaw and an axe from a young age, but that's the depth of my experience to date.

I'm currently self employed and financially stable but find my work a bit boring and a little unfulfilling. Given that I only work a couple of days a week, it seems like a good idea to learn another trade and devote some time to work that brings me some joy and keeps me fit. As I grew up in the woods and love trees, Arboriculture seems like the obvious choice, particularly as we've just bought a house that runs on solid fuel.

So, after much waffling, the question is:

-Do I enrol at the local college (Cannington) and take a 2 year, level 3 course?

and/or:

-Pay for my CS30 + 31 + maybe CS38 and look for volunteering opportunities or low paid work experience in the area?

-Something else?

I'm 30 years old, already own a Stihl ms 260 and PPE, drive, am competent with a trailer and willing to work a couple of days a week for free for a year or two..

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

Robin

With your experience you should be able to get paid work. Don't sell yourself too cheaply.

Personally i would get experience over paper qualifications to start with, it will probably make you more employable.

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

Check ALL the simple things first.

Welcome to the forum :001_cool:

CS30/31 are a must to step foot on a work site, unless your purly a brash dragger. CS38 is not of massive use without CS39 as obviously your very limited to what trees you can work on without a chainsaw in the tree.

How about doing 30/31 and getting your feet under the table initially? You can learn a lot in arb from watching from the ground and having good groundsman skills will help you work with your crew when you climb yourself.

College would be a good way to learn if you wanted to go down that route, though you may get frustrated with the level of peoples maturity on the course. There is also nothing to stop you buying some gear and finding someone that can show you the climbing basics. Its all practice until your upto a decent work speed, trainee climbers are a big time investment for employers so if you can get out in your own time to practice that would be a massive help to you.

It certainly isn't an easy trade to get into in the uk, employers know this so don't get taken for a mug and end up doing all the donkey work for peanuts. But best of luck! There are some fantastic people on this forum and it can teach you a lot :001_smile:

How about doing 30/31 and getting your feet under the table initially? You can learn a lot in arb from watching from the ground and having good groundsman skills will help you work with your crew when you climb yourself.

Thanks for the reply Will!

This sounds like a good starter plan, i've emailed a few local NPTC training providers about 30/31, hopefully this will help in finding initial experience/work in the industry.

All the best,

Robin

Welcome to the forum :001_cool:

CS30/31 are a must to step foot on a work site, unless your purly a brash dragger. CS38 is not of massive use without CS39 as obviously your very limited to what trees you can work on without a chainsaw in the tree.

College would be a good way to learn if you wanted to go down that route, though you may get frustrated with the level of peoples maturity on the course. There is also nothing to stop you buying some gear and finding someone that can show you the climbing basics. Its all practice until your upto a decent work speed, trainee climbers are a big time investment for employers so if you can get out in your own time to practice that would be a massive help to you.

It certainly isn't an easy trade to get into in the uk, employers know this so don't get taken for a mug and end up doing all the donkey work for peanuts. But best of luck! There are some fantastic people on this forum and it can teach you a lot :001_smile:

Heya buddy dinnae forget that CS38 is a requirement to be a groundie! The aerial rescue is the important thing here so you can support and care for your climber and get him out of the tree with out needing to use the ground saw lol :)

:thumbup:

Awesome post though Will :) I am myself have recently passed 38/39 and will be doing what you suggest ;) Going out to rec climb and play and hone skills till the speed is second nature. I want to commit the new skills into instinctive reactions.

Robin all the best to you :thumbup1:

Edited by Matt GT
emm.. I am stupid :D

I know when I was at college (Holme lacy) they ran a level 2 course which was only a yearlong. It allowed you to gain the basic practical qualifications (cs30’1’8 and 9) whilst studying. The course was aimed at people who wanted to get into the industry but didn't want to continue to higher education thus not needing to get a level 3 qual (the two year course you mentioned) but who also want to gain some theory instead of just doing their tickets. I know most of the guys on that course where also doing it as it worked out a lot cheaper than just doing the tickets on their own.

Hope that helps it’s another option for you.

Hello all,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply!

cot - I originally considered taking a level 2 course and the fact that the NPTC qualifications came with the course was a major draw, but like the 2 year level 3 diploma, i would still have to wait until next September to begin, which leaves the intervening time otherwise wasted.. I would like to formally learn the theory side of the job so will probably enrol on some sort of college based course regardless.

SAM66S- I have actually signed up for an evening course doing the ABC level 2 at my local college but sadly it's still unsure as to whether the course will run due to low numbers. It seems like a good goal, if possible, to pass my ABC, gain the required NPTCs then apply for my RFS certification before going onto a level 3 diploma. I would like to go level 3 to give myself the option of further education.

From what you guys have said and what I've read it looks like passing CS30/31 + 38, then seeking basic employment before taking a level 3 course whilst working a couple of days a week is the way to go.

Now i just need to find a willing employer to devote some time to teaching an old dog some new tricks!

Thanks again! :thumbup1:

Robin