Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi BenR

Thanks for tips.

I already use a sling at the right size for me and it works well but I only use it for the long mid air ascents with the hand ascender.

The sit/stand technique is ok for short ascents and the sit part is acceptable because I really shove the HH up the line. This was not as effective with the RW.

You're dead right about the practice part. My original questions were posted in order to get tips to refine my technique

My 9 months on a RW have taught me the technique along with constantly trawling threads on Treebuzz, Treehouse and here.

Keep safe.:thumbup1:

If you dont like neck elastics or chest harnesses maybe this is better?

Good. I saw this last night.

I like the simplicity of it and saw the hand loop thing on another video last week.

For someone who doesn't use a Hitch Hiker, you're spending a lot of time on HH threads.

Just like I did.

It's surely only a matter of days until you order one.

Here's think to help you with your order.:thumbup:RopeTek | Reaching New Heights?.

Yea, I reckon I jumped the gun a bit moving from the wooden wrench to zk1 to zk2. This time I will be waiting for the refinement process to move a bit further along before I jump onto a HH. Yea Im interested in following the thread only because some of the ascent issues you were talking about seem to be applicable to the Uni and the wrench too. I think you've just got to find something simple and comfortable mate. Im trying a neck elastic at the moment. When im climbing about I tuck it in my shirt unless im coming in from branches on the uni in which case im using it.

So now that I've had time to reflect on Fridays job I realise what a sublime climb it really was. Three Oak trees to pollard, each about 60ft to TIP.

I used the Bigshot to fire the Highball through the top of the first and middle trees, I then base tied to the middle tree. This meant that my redirect was installed before I even left the ground.

Got the first tree completed and swung across to the middle tree. After that was finished I then swung in to third tree, set my redirect, worked the tree and finally swung back to the middle tree to get the top off.

Down for lunch:thumbup1:.

The HH was so good and I tweaked the hitch a few times until I found a sweet spot. It definitely seems that having the hitch set really really short is far superior to even a tiny bit of length on the legs.

BUT

I'm still struggling slightly in two areas advancing the HH up the rope. :confused1:

1: While I'm on the Pantin using the sit/stand for short ascents.

Do you grab the Oxan under the HH to push the HH up or do you grab the bottom of the HH and top of Oxan together?

I found the latter doesn't always release the Oxan from the rope.

I did find that clipping the chest strap on to the harness ring advanced the HH instantly and the rope self tailed. Brilliant. I'll try the new Cobra loop tomorrow.

2: Coming in from branch walks.

A RW/HC requires rope tending by pulling up on the tail which I always thought to be ergonomically inefficient. The HH doesn't have a roller which means pulling the tail up doesn't always work as the Oxan sometimes stays locked on.

Grabbing the Oxan to push the HH up works perfectly but is often awkward to get my hand in place.

Has anyone figured out a slick technique yet?

:001_huh:

2: Coming in from branch walks.

A RW/HC requires rope tending by pulling up on the tail which I always thought to be ergonomically inefficient. The HH doesn't have a roller which means pulling the tail up doesn't always work as the Oxan sometimes stays locked on.

Grabbing the Oxan to push the HH up works perfectly but is often awkward to get my hand in place.

Has anyone figured out a slick technique yet?

:001_huh:

Nice little loop you've made there.:001_smile: I have the same issue with the uni because it doesn't have a pulley either. That's why I use the bungee to hold it up returning from branch walks. Then I can grab above the uni and drop slack straight down into the top of it. Most of the time it drops straight through but if it doesn't my other hand is free to give the tail a little pull as it is not busy holding the device up. Seeing as the HH doesn't have a pulley either maybe this might help you too.

The only other thing I do when branch walking when I have my entire weight on limbs is sometimes hold the device up, find my balance and pull straight down beneath.

Hopefully the guys on treebuzz have some better ideas:thumbup1: