Hitch Hiker thread.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah would recommend starting out with 5/1 vt as recommended ( though mine would normally slipped into 4/2 )...

I would agree and I will elaborate some on the reasons for doing so.

It will be tempting for all the climbers that have been using a hitch tended by a Hitchclimber pulley to try and use the Hitch Hiker the same way. Though it will work in this manner, you will be disappointed as it is not a pulley and has some distinct differences in how it works best.

First the knot. Start your wraps toward the spine and count 6 before putting the end into the Dogbone. Take up as much slack as you can before tying the stopper knot. The last wrap will drop off when you load the hitch with weight and become the 5 wrap that is pictured. This hitch is easy to adjust and fine tune once you get the feel of how the Hitch Hiker works.

100_4700-1.jpg

Now the why. The HH runs the best when it stays in alignment with the climbing line. It will release or grab and slide with effortless ease if this alignment is maintained. If you try and tail it like a Hitchclimber VT combo it will work but, as I stated, it is not a pulley so not only will you feel the increased drag from that fact you will also get more movement from the HH's locking dynamics than required and get far more setback than is desired.

Using the short recommended hitch and tying it by starting it towards the spine helps the Hitch Hiker stay in alignment, run silky smooth and will produce the least amount of set back.

David

So better than the RW or just different?

Gosh, I feel bad saying this because Kevin Bingham did such a good job with the RW. He was the first and led the way but it was inevitable of course that the concept would be improved upon.

So the answer is: Yes it's better.

IMO there are three reasons it's better.

1. It's a single device so while ascending one advances the HH and that advances the hitch. Sit back is 1".

2: When coming in on a branch walk, see point 1.

3. It works just as well with DRT apparently. I haven't tried yet.

I also find it more sensitive during descent but continually the same. I thought at first this was purely due to the hitch/rope combo but now I think it's a combination of hitch/rope/HH.

I may be proved wrong on this though.

It's also easier and faster to set up than the RW.

I'm still VERY new to the HH so I'm going through my own little development phase but I believe it's the next evolution for us in SRT tech.

Having said all that, I'm not naive enough to say its the best and get one or you're a loser.

We all know how much of gear choice is down to individual preference, feel, etc.

My feeling is that the HH would suit 8/10 people better than a RW.

I can't compare with a Unicender as I've not used one. You'd have to ask DMc about that. (He may sell you his Uni though as he doesn't use it any more😄)

Well that's the thing Kevin. I've often talked about tethers on the RW Feedback thread and stated that I still have the 'floppy bit if string' type on my Zk1. I stiffened with tape but it was far from good.

To me, it's obvious that a stiff tether will prevent the RW from flopping and will assist a bit with advancement up the rope. Thus making it a very different tool.

However, I'm sorry to say that the HH suits me better.

I should also make it clear that any comparison I make between the HH and RW is strictly the Zk1 as I've never used a Zk2.

My personal opinion is the zk2 with stiff tether is better than the HH. My main reason is that it allows me the use of my favourite hitch cord and pulley and so feels more familiar to me.

That's a good point Drew.

For me it's the opposite because I learnt to climb on a Prussik then got a LJ. I used it for years and then got a Zk1.

Although I liked the RW and love the SRT advantages I constantly missed my LJ every time I tended the HC, I just never loved the HC.

To me, the HH feels like a more mechanical system and I like that.