Hitch Hiker thread.

watch?v=qL0gbzHnRKk[/ame]

The hand ascender is a rope grap and so is the HAAS ... so could you use the HAAS instead of the hand ascender to hang a krab on to pull you back in as per the video??? Would it go onto the foot loop ... would the bungie / footloop get in the way?

it would save carrying a hand ascender up.

Cheers.

You can put anything on the rope to create a 3:1 advantage. I use one of my redirect loops & biner as a prussick on low drooping branches, occasionally.

But yes you could put a biner under the Knee Ascender device and achieve the same.

Anyway, soon enough you'll realise that this isn't a big deal in SRWP.

Focus on redirects to keep your rope high up in the tree and you'll find that you always have a comfy work position.

Working on DRT means avoiding friction.

Working on SRT means aiming for friction points, aka redirects!

Makes sense to me anyway.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ta for the replies. Just gotta say .. i don't care what the hh2 is like ... i'm already impressed with treestuff.com :thumbup: - arrived in less than 48 hours from across the pond ... fantastic !!! (for £128 inc p&p).

That's good! Did you pay import tax too?

They haven't asked yet ... got a haas too 1 day before black fri, if id have waited it would have been 15%off ... doh.

No problems with it (the HH2) (or SRT to be honest).. it's ok-ish on yale imori . but it is crushing it. V happy with it other than the 'setup' time at the start of the tree. The haas should be here tomorrow can't wait to try that out too.

Edited by warren

• 3 months later...

So, I'm about to take the step to SRT, been on the cards for a while...currently DdRT with Zig zag, pantin, 37m Blue Tounge and pulley saver, got a HAAS Velox today, which looks great.

Been eyeing up a RW for weeks and weeks now, but now I'm swaying to the Hitch Hiker, it looks the mutts nuts, I like how compact the system looks. But I'm feeling a pressure building in my head the more I try and figure out rope types, thicknesses, lengths and hitch cord combos!

I've seen previous positive comments about Cougar Blue and Kernmaster. Is there much difference in the selection on 11mm or 11.7mm rope, obviously the ideal hitch cord thickness will perhaps differ. I like the idea of the thicker cougar blue (more friendly on the hands?) and the possibility of a spiced eye for switching to DdRT, so perhaps this is the right rope?

My main question though is what length of rope are people finding optimum for SRT work in the UK? I anticipate I will use basal anchors and retrievable top anchors (e.g. cambium saver with alpine butterfly and tail of rope down on the ground).

Any current rope/hitch cord combo recommendations also welcome (sorry, probably been answered before).

p.s. Booked myself onto the Treekit SRT workshop on the 23rd April, looking forward to it :)

Hey Tom. Iv got 60m of kern master that I use everyday but is to much for most jobs but I had it when I was in Australia. The good thing about srt is you can determine how much rope you climb on and how much you leave in the bag. My mate had a 37m rope when he first tried srt but quickly upgraded after realising it wasn't all ways enough and he was limitating his options a lot of the time.

I wouldn't buy a new rope straight away cuz you might not like srt but if you do, upgrade when you see fit.

Thanks chaps. The credit card is whispering my name, the missus rolled her eyes when I explained what I 'needed' to put on there...but she didn't object. :thumbup1:

Got a big job coming up in May, deadwood in the upper crowns of lots leggy Oaks and tall Limes. Want the set-up sorted and sussed for then. Should make it easier.

HH2 does look mint.