Show us your log splitters

D A Tree Surgeons

Alan Fawcett manufacturing co.! I've got one its brilliant! can stick on big knotty lumps though

That's the one. I find the best thing to do with big knotty stuff is start at the edges and work in instead of going straight down the middle. Can't fault the speed of it, especially running on a nice new Case JXU :thumbup1:

That's the one. I find the best thing to do with big knotty stuff is start at the edges and work in instead of going straight down the middle. Can't fault the speed of it, especially running on a nice new Case JXU :thumbup1:

Aye its grand on our mf 5445, goes a bit slower on me 390, and now even slower when I have it on me front linkage, but just move lever to pump oil faster!

Got a seven tonne Rabaud ( single phase) which has some nice features like an easily adjustable table height and it's easy to move about but isn't really man enough even for a weekend warrior and big chunks of tough old high altitude beech. It's bent a couple or three times ......for what it's worth I think ease of production at the factory took precedence over beefing up the delicate bits for ultimate oomphff.

The splitting blade, held in place by a pin, rests loosely on a metal strip that, at the factory, is welded flush to the green outer casing of the ram. Trouble is that in production the outer casing of the ram has to slide up through the main body of the splitter so there isn't clearance to lay down a really chunky weld both inside and out - hence the fail. Once that weld fails the force is transmitted to all sorts of other places that I had first beefed up without twigging the root of the problem.

Now the metal support strip has been extended beyond the inner housing which itself has been trebled up in thickness both fore and aft to provide a chunkier surface for the blade to bear down on as the ram retracts to split the log.

But it's always been repairable...and if the good lord hadn't meant us to stick metal together he wouldn't have given us welders..

cheers m'dears

5976625c773d1_todayIhavemainlyberepairingthefendeusea.jpg.2dae52fe03ce113fe8457791e61510b7.jpg

P1110128.jpg.b2ff2513c39f5a83f0f2619afefe4944.jpg

P1110022.jpg.d430be6c6683897898c466d58cc92e5c.jpg

Just wondering if any of the thor magik users have tried/ or successfully adapted a one handed controls system?

As mentioned in my initial post on page one of this thread, the leader controls are great, in that they allow one handed operation for part one of the splitting process, i.e. holding the log steady and drawing the blade down - but can be a bit slow, and the valve is very sensitive, the slightest bit of sap build up along the guides and it stops dead in its tracks.

Just wondering if any of the thor magik users have tried/ or successfully adapted a one handed controls system?

As mentioned in my initial post on page one of this thread, the leader controls are great, in that they allow one handed operation for part one of the splitting process, i.e. holding the log steady and drawing the blade down - but can be a bit slow, and the valve is very sensitive, the slightest bit of sap build up along the guides and it stops dead in its tracks.

A peice of blue water pipe between the handles will turn it to one hand operation. Never had problem with the leader control.