Show us your log splitters

D A Tree Surgeons

Generic Chinesium but effective.
If I split more I'd certainly buy a better quality machine which was more comfortable to use.
22t road tow to 72kph, Briggs engine for a little over a grand plus vat in your post brexit folding type monies.
Stuart
IMG_20210215_114552.thumb.jpg.fac67ed4aaa859734803fb276f41847f.jpg

You don’t fancy using it in the horizontal? I find it way easier and quicker. Only go vertical if it’s a big round.
  • Like 2

I get a lot of big diameter wood (city trees) and you still have to bend over and pick up each small diameter logs. I split as much smaller blocks with the axe. I dont get up out of chairs easy after sitting for a while but I am a machine on the job and previous back injury a decade ago with the scrap lifting is non-existent than the fact that I'm stiffer in idle, but I'm almost 44 and I eat the 25 year old kids helping out for dinner. I do scrap, junk removal and other knick knacks all day amd I split wood into the night after day work because that's when I can unless other work gets slow. I hate working at evening/ night even with a floodlight on, its colder at night in winter but I avoid the coldest days and nights

I get a lot of big diameter wood (city trees) and you still have to bend over and pick up each small diameter logs. I split as much smaller blocks with the axe. I dont get up out of chairs easy after sitting for a while but I am a machine on the job and previous back injury a decade ago with the scrap lifting is non-existent than the fact that I'm stiffer in idle, but I'm almost 44 and I eat the 25 year old kids helping out for dinner. I do scrap, junk removal and other knick knacks all day amd I split wood into the night after day work because that's when I can unless other work gets slow. I hate working at evening/ night even with a floodlight on, its colder at night in winter but I avoid the coldest days and nights

You don’t need to pick up smaller diameter logs by hand though. A set of hand lifting tongs and/or a Hookeroon makes light work of that. Sub-14” diameter logs split 4 ways on my little 22t. Virtually no bending involved and a good posture throughout the operation. I’m closing in on 42 and had two minor back surgeries in the last 3 years so ergonomics is very important to me and I can work all day without much discomfort. Bigger rounds get the vertical treatment obviously.

Ya I never liked horizontal. My friend smaller than me would lift big blocks and liked horizontal without log catcher. I tossed the log catcher rack at the scrap yard, I figured nobody would buy it online unless that one guy comes for it a year later, no big deal, would have sold it for only a few bucks anyway. Hopefully I get my fast machine going, standing up, with log lifter