Bore Cutting the Hinge

Albedo

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah not had to do it in a while but have used it a lot felling big h/woods and on larger conifer with small saw. learnt to do it to compensate for short bars but as said above does have other benefits, stopping ripping etc.

If you are short on bar I agree its amazing how a tiny strip left in the centre of the tree will hold it up and have you sweating over your felling lever or beating wedges in!

I know of someone who bored the hinge on a massive beech, put in the felling cut and wedges, tree wouldn't move, so they stuck the saw back into the bore cut to make sure... tree moved 1/4 of an inch and saw was stuck, the tree then ever so slowly continued its fall! apparently the big old stihl kept ticking over until the very end, but resembled a crushed tin can when they extracted it from the under the butt!

Just a word of warning to the less experienced.

I’ve said on here before that kickback is not some mystery accident that happens without warning. It is 100% avoidable if you understand how it comes about.

I don’t want inexperienced users going out and bore cutting hinges as a result of this thread. You need to understand kickback and how to avoid it to safely do bore cuts. You also need to understand why you are doing the bore cut in the felling scenario that you are in.

If you haven’t done a bore cut before, get someone who has, to show you how to do it safely, before trying it yourself. That’s how I learned although these days you probably have to pay someone 300 quid:001_smile:. The internet is not the place to learn these skills.

Yes you must be wary of kickback and you must also get your cuts correct.

Never revisit the letterbox cut once the back cut has been started as the results can be fatal....not only for the saw!

When you bore through the gob do you bore through level with the bottom of the hinge or slightly stepped up ?

Slightly above - idea is to meet your back cut

Level with the bottom hinge bud

Nope.

Slightly higher around the same height as the back cut will be.

Agreed :thumbup1:

think the cut is called tongue and grove

Nope, that's somethng different entirely.

Cheers

Level with the bottom of the hinge then through the side working your way round ? Side bore level with front bore ? Putting in wedges as you go ?

Cheers again

Look at it another way - if you have to ask all about it should you really thinking about trying it out based on a description online?