Bore Cutting the Hinge

Albedo

Was just discussing this with someone so I thought I might put it up for discussion on here.

I find that bore cutting the hinge, mostly on connies, makes the beast go over more easily.

This is done through the gob side before doing the felling cut.

Your views will be appreciated:001_smile:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally only bother on anything going for milling, but especially bigger or leaning ash, and usually couple it up to a dogs tooth. More often than not I'll make a small cut down either side of the hinge too, severing the buttresses to reduce the risk of tearing up the sides.

Handy tip though, don't take the same 660 out to do lots of bore cuts when the last job it was on was cutting big windblown spruce off the stumps without changing the chain first :blushing: Long bar and low rakers make it a bit lively :biggrin: