What camera?

Woodworks

I have a few DSLR Nikon D50 and D90 soon a D7000.

I also have a lot of different types of glass to go in front too.

Works well and more resiltent that you think but after a day of carrying a D90 around its heavy.

Have you looked at the Nikon one? Mirrorless camera but can still change the lens. Can also get a converter to take proper nikon slr lenses

Why not not have a look at the micro four thirds range from panasonic or olympus, I changed over to an olympus G1 a couple of years or so back as I was sick of carrying my dslr about with all it's lenses, image quality isn't as good as my 5D was but it's still very acceptable.

It's said that the best camera is the one in your pocket at the time, normally your mobile phone! The iphone 4 has 8M pix (IIRC) and the optics are not half bad either.

Impressive photo Rob, where was that taken?

That is a valley in Yosemite NP. Was an awesome view. It's something I had a shot of on both cameras so gives a good comparison.

As said before, if you don't know how to use an SLR properly then IMO your best spending on a top end compact. They tend to have manual modes anyway now so can give similar effects.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I have narrowed this down to a high quality compact as "It's said that the best camera is the one in your pocket at the time" is so true and a neat compact is far more likely to be in my pocket. Quite a few thumbs up for the Lumix LX5 but are there are there any other serious compact that you can wholeheartedly recommend? I am quite prepared to spend serious money if it looks good for the job.

If money isn't a concern. Have a look at the Fuji x-pro 1, it's what I'd buy if had a spare 1500 quid.

ah not that serious money I meant up to DSLR money so £350-£450 max. For £1500 I could hire David Bailey for an hour or two as he only lives down the road :biggrin:

I can see many of you take some lovely pictures but what would you recomend for a novice?

I am in the market for a new camera but there so many different types. My current one is just a basic digital with 3x optical zoom. I have borrowed a bridge camera with 18x optical zoom and this was very nice to use and not to bulky. I wan't to take scenery pictures mainly but some wildlife as well. My concerns with a full on SLR are.

A. the weight as I intend to take it mountain walking.

B. the complication for someone who really does not know one end of a camera from another but I would hope to learn overtime.

Budget is fairly flexible within reason.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

HI WOOD im thinking of a canon g15 are they any good thanks all jon :thumbup: