What camera?

Woodworks

I can see many of you take some lovely pictures but what would you recomend for a novice?

I am in the market for a new camera but there so many different types. My current one is just a basic digital with 3x optical zoom. I have borrowed a bridge camera with 18x optical zoom and this was very nice to use and not to bulky. I wan't to take scenery pictures mainly but some wildlife as well. My concerns with a full on SLR are.

A. the weight as I intend to take it mountain walking.

B. the complication for someone who really does not know one end of a camera from another but I would hope to learn overtime.

Budget is fairly flexible within reason.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

If you don't know much about cameras and things like depth of field, f stops, exposure etc then stick to point and shoot cameras. The top end ones such as the Sony hx9/10 and lumix tz20 have brilliant capabilities for their size. And would probably suit most.

I have a DSLR, canon 1100d. Brilliant camera takes brilliant photos. But you need to buy lenses with these and that's where you need cash. The basic kit lens 18-55mm is ok but lacks zoom. So I have a 18-250mm zoom lens that will still get close up images fairly well. I've taken it on a lot of walks. They aren't that heavy. Just be careful with it ie don't bash it into fences as you climb over them.

I have a small camera too, a Samsung wb700 I think. Just a basic point and shoot with a good zoom and a good level of other capability. I picked it up for £70 off fleabay.

Two pictures here, one from my slr, another from the Samsung. The top end compacts and bridge cameras would come somewhere in the middle of these two.

5976624fedaae_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1353057644.965959.jpg.eb391558f7bb5d4c6bfd2f2e437bf13e.jpg

5976624feb1d6_ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1353057594.106796.jpg.dd247ecb6a86a15741c7868d7c2440cc.jpg

I use compact and dslr. An Olympus SP800uz which gives 28-840 zoom, macro and more in one compact ish camera. Also Canon Eos 20d which will do all of the above as long as I could afford all the lenses and a big bag to put them in.

Depends how seriously you want to take photography but I'd go for a bridge camera initially.

I've got a Panasonic DMC-FT3 which I take to work with me whenever I remember. It takes decent photos, but best of all it's waterproof and shockproof so I don't have to worry about breaking it!

I've been meaning to post some photos, so I'll try to find a few minutes to get some up here.

I have a couple of friends who are professional photographers. Had a chat with them the other day and both said that if you have a half decent camera, the rest is up to the individual. You can have the best camera in the world but if you don't know how to use it your photos will still be rubbish.

They also said that (if you want a DSLR), unless you're a pro, buy a base model body and spend the money on good lenses.

I have two camers, a Canon EOS1000 with a bog standar lens and a 75 - 300mm zoom. I'll also be getting a wide angle for landscape type photos. Also, like John, I have one of the Panasonic waterproof, dustproof and shockproof point and shoot cameras for my everyday stuff as I cant take the Canon up the tree with me for fear of dropping it or getting sawdust through the lenses.

I'd also recommend going to a proper camera shop rather than your local electrical store and having a play and feel of some different types. Maybe even grab a couple of books from the library. If you don't want to be faffing with setting exposure times etc then maybe a point and shoot would be better.

Thanks for all the help on this.

I had a chance to pop into the local photo shop today and had look at a Canon 1100D I have to say it was a lot lighter than I thought so weight was not a problem but still a bit bulky when out on the hill. The advice I was given was that the new compact cameras were very nearly as good as the bigger bridge type cameras except for the zoom and neither could compare with a basic DSLR for quality of the picture, does this sound right? I totally agree with the idea that "the best camera is the one in your pocket at the time" but sometimes I would like a better picture than my current Casio compact.

Thanks for the comparative pictures Rob it does show the differences very well.