Learning to see and use the natural beauty in wood.

Woodworks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers for all the advise.

Tommer that is one great piece of brown oak it must have been heartbreaking cutting it down to a smaller table.

Just got some of my old pictures back.

Does this count as woodcraft?

:drool: Beautiful frames!!!

yeah was a shame. The garden table is even bigger! Slabbed it all with an alaskan at full chat....45 minutes and a tank and a half of fuel in the 088 per slab. The log was mahoussive!

17092006117.jpg.23cb534527d4e7dbcd769122a601adf5.jpg

Coming back to the original question, I was talking to someone at the Uxbridge clock fair a couple of years ago by the name of John Birkett. He makes and restores clock cases and I was looking at one them (the one in the style of Tompion and Banger shown on the page in the link below). I was trying to guess a date - I guessed c.1700, he said he'd finished it the day before!

Gallery - John Birkett - Clock Case Maker & Restorer of Antique Clock Cases

He reckoned that 'proper' cabinet makers found it very hard to do what he does. The point is that it isn't perfect - there are defects in wood which show through, sometimes immediately, sometimes over time. A cabinet maker tries to treat wood as a perfect, homogenous material, with the beauty derived from the form he creates. It's a totally different skill to work with 'defects' and make the most of them.

The clock cases excepted, where the attention to detail in wear marks, stains, appropriate shade in the interior etc, with dents etc in all the right places is meticulous with the intention of replicating an appearance of age, most 'use of natural features' seems to work best when it's not competing with the form. This means simple shapes and structures seem to work best in showing off the natural form of the wood, so big slabs and blocks. You need something far more plain grained if you want to show off your own jointing, shaping etc. which I think is why the frames and jewellery box work well.

Alec

Alec you have hit the nail on the head. You have exactly described what I normally try to do. So basically a simpler form and let the wood do the talking.

I can,t resist posting this pic as it is the most beautiful wood I have ever used and probably my best piece again probably not "woodcraft" but certainly some lovely wood.

597662499d285_tantalisbox043.jpg.041e8d501201ee14a02689f34bd8ddc6.jpg

597662499a39d_tantalisbox041.jpg.6c6ab695344f607405e002e3f1933c09.jpg

5976624996c0c_tantalisbox038.jpg.7c7017db3df71da1834a0f6a5ce9ce05.jpg