Learning to see and use the natural beauty in wood.

Woodworks

I have really enjoyed looking on this forum because you guys are so good at doing the above. I have been a furniture/cabinet maker for over 20 years but I am very poor at using what is probably the most beautiful pieces of wood. I tend to engineer and cut out the best bits instead of working with what I have in front of me. I know I should just be braver and use some knots and defects but find it very hard as it is not how I was taught. Have you guys got any tips for an old dog who want's to learn new tricks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are the best exponents of this style of work? books or websites :thumbup:

a bit of both really,,try and use some imagination too, nothing wrong with copying a few things first, then adding your own creative flair to it,,, check out daniel macks books from larkwood publishers, certainly some projects there that you can use your cabinet xkills on,,,,

I usually find its any thing quirky that sells first,,,burrs etc,,:thumbup1:

a bit of both really,,try and use some imagination too, nothing wrong with copying a few things first, then adding your own creative flair to it,,, check out daniel macks books from larkwood publishers, certainly some projects there that you can use your cabinet xkills on,,,,

I usually find its any thing quirky that sells first,,,burrs etc,,:thumbup1:

Thanks for that. Just had a look at his website and there is a table I can relate to with cabinet maker top and rustic legs. I know I can't completely change over night but some sort of half way house work is probably within me :thumbup:

Thanks for that. Just had a look at his website and there is a table I can relate to with cabinet maker top and rustic legs. I know I can't completely change over night but some sort of half way house work is probably within me :thumbup:

good luck, his stuff mixes both styles, !post some pics,,,,:thumbup:

Hi Woodworks, i have been making my living as a furniture maker for the past 26 years now, so can i offer some tips. Years ago when i had a chap working for me i would always go on about how the work we did had to be PLEASING TO THE EYE, meaning picking the wood out so the grain and colour matched , the v in the grain pointed to the top, and where the knots and character was in relation to the rest of the piece. No good all the character in the lower area of a cabinet and none at the top. And the same for knots no good clusters of knots to say the right hand side and the left side free from knots.As once the item was in the customers house they would not see all the hidden joints and how much time they would take to do but how lovely a piece would look. Also another very important point is proportions and sizes of timber, like for example the bottom rail of a door should be wider than the sides and top and a cupboard door will look more pleasing if the styles and rails are 2 1/2 inches instead of 1 1/2. Try it. Save the character for door panels and table tops, where it can give the most impact. Nice box by the way i would be pleased to of made it.