Chalara fraxinea - Generic thread

David Humphries

Do you always back up your arguments so eloquently?! :confused: I agree it could be, but I certainly wouldn't say definitely - other things can cause die back in ash too...

I'll do a Paddy Ashdown and offer to eat my hat! I ate my tea under my ash this evening. Its having its last throws of the dice to survive. The lower branches in the picture are dead, they still have the seed stalks on them from what three years ago when the branch was infected. Please take the time to visit Norfolk I'll show you round. Yes there are other things but I can tell you that crown is not thin through drought, frost, pigeons, squirrels or seeding dieback. Seeding dieback is hidden within a year by vigorous new growth, I don't see any ash with vigorous growth full stop. I've studied ash dieback since this first started, I work with the person who found it first in the wild in the UK.

I'll do a Paddy Ashdown and offer to eat my hat! I ate my tea under my ash this evening. Its having its last throws of the dice to survive. The lower branches in the picture are dead, they still have the seed stalks on them from what three years ago when the branch was infected. Please take the time to visit Norfolk I'll show you round. Yes there are other things but I can tell you that crown is not thin through drought, frost, pigeons, squirrels or seeding dieback. Seeding dieback is hidden within a year by vigorous new growth, I don't see any ash with vigorous growth full stop. I've studied ash dieback since this first started, I work with the person who found it first in the wild in the UK.

:adore::adore::adore:

• 2 months later...

Where abouts is this tree?

I don't think from these images that this tree is affected by Chalara.

Just looks like decline to me due to its growing environment and has associated natural retrenchment.

If targets are a concern then perhaps think about reducing the extended branches.

The vascular health appears good.

It wouldn't be a surprise if the tree had Inonotus hispidus colonisation throughout its stem & branch structure.

Rubbish.

Haha I didn't see this. If you can confirm adb from a crappy photograph you are wiser than I am. And I found pretty much every confirmed positive sample in Dorset, Wiltshire Hampshire and West Sussex. Plus a few just outside of this area.

Edited by Adam M

Haha I didn't see this. If you can confirm adb from a crappy photograph you are wiser than I am. And I found pretty much every confirmed positive sample in Dorset, Wiltshire Hampshire and West Sussex. Plus a few just outside of this area.

Yep must be wiser than you.