Chalara fraxinea - Generic thread

David Humphries

The main reason I have said get out and look is because it makes the tree sector look very daft when the public asks questions and the tree surgeon struggles to answer. I am increasing seeing reduction work being carried out on 50% dead ash trees when the tree will be dead within two years. What a waste of customers money, the tree surgeon should know better than that it's their job to be informed and up to date.

The main reason I have said get out and look is because it makes the tree sector look very daft when the public asks questions and the tree surgeon struggles to answer. I am increasing seeing reduction work being carried out on 50% dead ash trees when the tree will be dead within two years. What a waste of customers money, the tree surgeon should know better than that it's their job to be informed and up to date.

Totally agree :thumbup1:

So a few pictures from Lytes Cary, a National Trust property near to me. The middle pic is of what I would consider a healthy Ash, with good leaf cover throughout the crown. The other 2 trees are very sparse, the leaves mainly confined to the terminal buds on each branch giving the lions tail effect. I have also noticed that a lot of the Ash are VERY heavily laden with keys. Is this just a mast year or maybe a reaction to poor health?

1434263216296.jpg.9f706f50514db3afe1ece7ca6038ad68.jpg

1434263203418.jpg.7c2e9992115efe1f83cbb1136feb3550.jpg

1434263189866.jpg.e7c42026eaa84ae1eeabbed9e1ad0278.jpg

So a few pictures from Lytes Cary, a National Trust property near to me. The middle pic is of what I would consider a healthy Ash, with good leaf cover throughout the crown. The other 2 trees are very sparse, the leaves mainly confined to the terminal buds on each branch giving the lions tail effect. I have also noticed that a lot of the Ash are VERY heavily laden with keys. Is this just a mast year or maybe a reaction to poor health?

We had the same thing four three to four years ago but over the that summer the growth died of chalara and the seeds with it so they have never dropped and I presume are not viable. It's another symptom if the seeds are still on your trees next spring. We have had a drought in Norfolk over the last few months which may cause heavy seeding but I do believe like apple trees that have one good year before dying I feel chalara maybe more the cause.

I've noticed this round here too. Some trees appear to have put all their resources into seeding and have produced very few leaves. Ash can be fickle for a whole range of reasons though and I haven't spotted any definitive Chalara symptoms in these trees so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Ash not looking good here now more seeds than leaves on some. Worried clients beginning to call. I do fear that an ash will saturate the cordwood market. Firewood merchants round hare not taking anymore wood at present as firewood not shifting and yards full. Another warm winter, low oil price and chalara then we may have a storm outside of the teacup!

I've noticed this round here too. Some trees appear to have put all their resources into seeding and have produced very few leaves. Ash can be fickle for a whole range of reasons though and I haven't spotted any definitive Chalara symptoms in these trees so far.

I think it is quite possibly very normal behaviour for Ash, only difference is people are paying much more attention due to chalara being in the news.