Chalara fraxinea - Generic thread

David Humphries

Oh dear.....I think there may be some complacency. My son phoned me tonight. He's working away on a farm at the moment and he tells me recently planted ash trees have had some black wilted leaves before they dropped. The boss is off on safari soon and he really can't be bothered!

On another farm their recently planted ash have shown similar symptoms this year. When it was suggested to the boss that they may have ash dieback his reply was; 'yes, they probably have' and left it at that.

So two examples of disregard and complacency.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know, or know where I can find info on any decay caused by Chalara? ie. does, or can it, decay woody tissues? Or only the racemes, and travelling though a trees vascular sytem to access more racemes to decay and fruit from? Its getting late and I'm tired, hope that makes sense!

Cheers...

Hot off the presses - control strategy published today:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications/files/pb13843-chalara-control-plan-121206.pdf

Good post, thanks :thumbup1:

Going to an FC plant health seminar at Ickworth Park next week.

Will be interesting to hear of any further news (if any)

Known sites doubled in a month.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/dec/06/ash-dieback-infection-sites-double

Total sites infected now stands at 291

Ickworth was very informative.

I've come away having had my initial feeling reconfirmed that there is to be no knee jerk reaction to the presence and spread of the disease from both the nursery and wider environment.

Time will be given to eradicate (where already out in planting schemes) to study, to slow the spread & to promote resilience.

I get the impression that its quite feasible that's it's not all doom and gloom.

Interesting set of shots here (poor quality I'm afraid) of an ash going through infection between 2008, 2009, 2010 & 2012

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165028.483973.jpg.39e23196d92201ec3b03efb395432cfe.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165051.255438.jpg.d58aed2a09803ca78220b7e0a620bbf2.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165061.364711.jpg.dc374762b5591e7b14a698aa75c64829.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165082.616598.jpg.c0273605ce6c67c6fec039c63b30e6c6.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165093.597839.jpg.f63e839c7bc8ba155e64fe7b469a436d.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355165124.092418.jpg.1ef4a874e72e6ebc7b35554285bfdc09.jpg.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355164988.341112.jpg.91d5daf0fc85e4e7ae8a9e6e48d3dec0.jpg

I took a fair bit of interest in the talks by Emma Goldberg & Daegan Inward on the ecological impacts associated with chalara and the joys of Coleoptera :thumbup1:

Fascinating that although ash makes up a huge percentage of leafy biomass in the uk it only offers up average quality as host potential for specific insects.

Something like 110 species as opposed to 197 for hawthorn and 247 for oak.

Is chalara fraxinea a Japanese import?

Found this article on the Beeb's website, new research seems to suggest that ash dieback disease may have originated in Japan or Korea, where the same fungus seems to co-exist with indigenous ash tree species.

Also has some sketchy details on research being done in Poland, where the current strain of the disease affecting Europes ash first appeard 20 years ago.

Here's the link:

BBC News - Ash dieback: Chalara fungus 'originated in Asia'

Please feel free to move if posted in wrong thread.