Chalara fraxinea - Generic thread

David Humphries

My conclusion here EdwardC, spec savers syndrome, if you ain't looking for it, doesn't mean it's not there. Not notice much here on Rail, and frankly could be a lot of strimmer damage ? Ash is a fragile tree, don't like reductions, big platter of fungal interest in it and not a long lived tree anyway. Genuine Chalara IS a problem in plantation, or avenues but like Massaria, I ain't seeing much of it. K

Edited by Khriss
Should have gone to SpecSavers !

Wondered if someone with more experience than me can help. We look after a lake and the owner has told us his stand of Ash and Cherry has signs of Ash die back. After inspecting the trees,  the majority have no sign at all of any ailments. Among the 50 or so Ash trees, only one has any sign of anything like Chalara. 
We are in south Wiltshire which I think has little incidence of Chalara so far. 
The crowns are fine, looking healthy and totally normal.
The following photos show the crowns, the trunks typical of all the trees, then finally the one suspect tree. 
Is the last pic a clear sign of Chalara?
144F7022-BB05-4564-BD7A-48C9C19748AC.thumb.jpeg.5dd709052eee5abc6c7d41f6df0abf22.jpeg
D2BD3D83-BBD6-46B8-AA7C-4CF009C49B09.thumb.jpeg.cff52d56fbc8554304866182779d2491.jpeg
37C5D61A-5545-4016-B61A-BA5F75FC704E.thumb.jpeg.5effe114235265929d217f39ddda61f3.jpeg

Where are you in South Wilts. I’m on the wilts/Dorset border and it’s looking terrible around here.

On 15/08/2019 at 21:45, Arbre said:

Wondered if someone with more experience than me can help. We look after a lake and the owner has told us his stand of Ash and Cherry has signs of Ash die back. After inspecting the trees,  the majority have no sign at all of any ailments. Among the 50 or so Ash trees, only one has any sign of anything like Chalara. 

We are in south Wiltshire which I think has little incidence of Chalara so far. 

The crowns are fine, looking healthy and totally normal.

The following photos show the crowns, the trunks typical of all the trees, then finally the one suspect tree. 

Is the last pic a clear sign of Chalara?

144F7022-BB05-4564-BD7A-48C9C19748AC.jpeg

D2BD3D83-BBD6-46B8-AA7C-4CF009C49B09.jpeg

37C5D61A-5545-4016-B61A-BA5F75FC704E.jpeg

Just a point ..The Cherry won't have Ash die back ..?

• Haha 1

On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:47, EdwardC said:

On an even gloomier note, Chalara does infect, and has been found on, other members of the Oleaceae family. On a more positive note, it doesn't appear to infect olives.

I did not know this. Out of genus list I recognise,  I see Lilac, Privet, Jasmin, Osmanthus, Phillyrea and Forsythia.

Worth looking out for symptoms on these shrubs too.

14 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

How many of these trees that are recovering, are coming back from drought induced stress and not Chalara?

Last year we had a long hot summer in the South East, It was the first hot summer that lasted any length of time in years, 2018 had hot spells here but it is normal in Summer, before that 76,  as there been extensive annual droughts in other parts of the country that I am unaware of recently?

The Ash I took down recently was mixed with a Beech crop, Beech tends to suffer more from drought conditions than Ash, the Beech is fine , the Ash is f**ked, it’s been declining on this site for years and certainly isn’t coming back.

Edited by The avantgardener

2 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

I looked up about ADB in Europe to see if there has been any success in growing seedlings from the "resistant " trees and it seems success is very limited ...

I planted lots of different Ash from all over the world as an experiment at Bedgebury Pinetum 5 years ago, all look great so far but not holding my breath, it has already been confirmed in other host species of the Oleaceae family.

Edited by The avantgardener

8 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

Last year we had a long hot summer in the South East, It was the first hot summer that lasted any length of time in years, 2018 had hot spells here but it is normal in Summer, before that 76,  as there been extensive annual droughts in other parts of the country that I am unaware of recently?

The Ash I took down recently was mixed with a Beech crop, Beech tends to suffer more from drought conditions than Ash, the Beech is fine , the Ash is f**ked, it’s been declining on this site for years and certainly isn’t coming back.

Sorry, but I don’t get your answer to my post - a lot of ash trees are knackered here too - some from the drought last year - others from charalia - people were saying that some trees were “recovering” and I queried what from.

10 hours ago, The avantgardener said:

as there been extensive annual droughts in other parts of the country that I am unaware of recently?

In my part of Cheshire there certainly has and extends down through Shropshire as far as South Wales some years. 

Last year was extreme. I had an acre of well established apple trees that were wilted most of the year, I’ve never seen apples actually wilt before.

The EA publish records from throughout the country of ground water levels on an annual basis, they confirm the above. 

No drought here this year!