David Humphries

2 minutes ago, Lucan said:

The figure comes from;

• £2.7bn for safety felling roadside trees
  • £1.6bn for safety felling urban trees
  • £4bn for woodland ecosystem loss
  • £5.3bn for non-woodland ecosystem loss
  • Rest is from safety felling of railway line trees, replanting, etc

Considering there is an estimated 4m ash trees within falling distance of a road, of which around 35% are under public ownership, that does seem like an underestimation.

Figure has been updated and now 95% is the expected mortality rate

The £10 M figure I mentioned was just for the borough and trees on LA within falling distance of the road. 

"Figure has been updated and now 95% is the expected mortality rate"   I didn't know they'd been a lower mortality rate published anywhere, but I remember that when this all started it was reckoned that 95-98% of all Denmarks Ash had become infected within ten years of the disease first being reported. I can't imagine why we'd be much different.

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating day with the Ancient Tree Forum, Suffolk Wildlife Trust & Small Woods Association at Bradfield Woods yesterday. There for talks on Suffolk's woodland history and pollarding/coppicing and then a guided walk learning about the challenges of managing an 800 year old coppice woodland. Significant concerns at lack of resilience to ash die back. The guys that work the wood think that ash will take a 90% hit in the next 10 years. Will be interesting to see which species gets planted to replace the ash and supplement the hazel in Bradfield over the next couple of decades.

IMG_7480.thumb.JPG.3ae98404f7b9a5b2302ad381d9c96538.JPG

IMG_7516.thumb.JPG.cf5372014bc4e8a17dcfa1fdf24c4c53.JPG

IMG_7528.thumb.JPG.040980225515cb4922fbaa11b8d50ce9.JPG

IMG_7548.thumb.JPG.973f790bdde5555336774d184ef14f3c.JPG

IMG_7551.thumb.JPG.f4c8f2b9ca435fe08cb279126597502f.JPG

IMG_7533.thumb.JPG.58fa8afb311c09b97d66671958b52909.JPG

IMG_7566.thumb.JPG.552705dbdc1ad78693165f06e9684b82.JPG

IMG_7557.thumb.JPG.6fced1d3ae436d4da480ad3ad139cf45.JPG

IMG_7600.thumb.JPG.6645b59480e87ce1277f4d9827214d23.JPG

IMG_7603.thumb.JPG.2c6004ad1405bfcd906b41e340a2b55f.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Blast!

I was going to go to that but completely forgot about it.

Are they definitely planning to plant to replace the lost Ash?

shame, you missed a good one, though a little over subscribed (62 attendees i think) 

We were there looking at other issues like deer impact/management, doormice populations and end product so didn't actually focus on ADB for too long. I don't remember specific replacement species being mentioned (may have missed it as I have a tendency to wonder off) but as you'll know species diversity is quite key to woodland management and associated biodiversity so rather than move toward a monoculture of hazel there will be the opportunity to replace ash with something else, lime, willow, field maple, alder......other

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David Humphries said:

shame, you missed a good one, though a little over subscribed (62 attendees i think) 

We were there looking at other issues like deer impact/management, doormice populations and end product so didn't actually focus on ADB for too long. I don't remember specific replacement species being mentioned (may have missed it as I have a tendency to wonder off) but as you'll know species diversity is quite key to woodland management and associated biodiversity so rather than move toward a monoculture of hazel there will be the opportunity to replace ash with something else, lime, willow, field maple, alder......other

You may well have met Pete Fordham there. He is a regular volunteer at the Wood I manage.

He's coming on Monday so I'll give him a thorough grilling.

Just now, the village idiot said:

You may well have met Pete Fordham there. He is a regular volunteer at the Wood I manage.

He's coming on Monday so I'll give him a thorough grilling.

Yeah Pete was there sharing his vast experience helping with the guided walk and supporting the current incumbent.

• Like 1

The two mainly ash woodlands that we thinned over winter are now severely infected. Approximately a third of the trees are showing little sign of life. I can imagine that with at least one of them that we will be back again this winter.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, David Humphries said:

If you do see Pete this week, could you share this image with him, I spoke briefly with him about how the foresters in the Basque cover their fresh (pollard) cuts with moss matts. He said he hadn't heard of it before and seemed quite intrigued.

DSC00328.thumb.JPG.cfd29ab13bea274b8f1a4a2c555a0895.JPG

Certainly. No problem.

• Like 1