which winch wire!

Gilly

That's more down to operator laziness :)

Not at all, Hi have a h14 and its fine if you can line the landy up with the line of pull, but if its pulling off angle(for example self recovery) there is nothing you can do to make it spool on neatly hence leading to flat spots on wire rope where it has criscrossed. Plus when it bunches up on one end of the drum it can jam itself up between the bumper and the druum - especially if you have full rope capacity on the drum.

I don't think there's any situation where you couldn't get a straight pull, but like I said its down to laziness, it takes time and effort to set up a redirect but it would solve the problem. I'm not saying anyone's going to do it, but its also not a problem with the rope itself just the user, synthetic rope just allows people to cut corners.

If it bunches up on one side just unwind it and spool it on straight

Funnily enough the myth busters episode was on tonight where they try to cut a pig in half

Edited by mikecotterill

I don't think there's any situation where you couldn't get a straight pull, but like I said its down to laziness, it takes time and effort to set up a redirect but it would solve the problem. I'm not saying anyone's going to do it, but its also not a problem with the rope itself just the user, synthetic rope just allows people to cut corners.

Funnily enough the myth busters episode was on tonight where they try to cut a pig in half

And did they?

whats to say the redirect would be pulling inline as well, i would say you'd almost never find yourself in a situation where you were able to get a direct pull when self recovering no matter how many redirects you setup, I always think there should be some kind of play on lever to allow proper spooling on.

Call me OCD but as soon as iv recovered myself i pull ot the wire again and reel it all on neatly again, I hate seeing the wire all crisscrossed:001_rolleyes:

To be honest I only saw the last 5 minutes, I think they ended up wrapping the rope round the pig and driving off to half the pig.

You don't have to have it perfectly straight on to the winch to get it something like just "near enough". Like I said its never going to happen as people won't take the time, me included, but it is the fault of the operator

I'm the same with wire, don't think it's OCD but I do feel a little embarrassed if its not on straight and I think it does look unprofessional too especially on the front of your truck

Wire rope for tree work. The first lot we had on our chipper was synthetic and it lasted less than three hours working time. It got roughed up really bad just winching limbs up a bank to the chipper. The whole lot snapped in half on the third job. Turns out it hadn't been wrapped on the drum under tension and the last 15m that HAD been spooled on under tension(because we were using that 15m) bit in and melted to the loose stuff. When we unwrapped the lot the last two wraps had melted themselves on to the drum. I'm sure it's good stuff but I doubt it'll last with the rigours of tree work.

Wire rope for tree work. The first lot we had on our chipper was synthetic and it lasted less than three hours working time. It got roughed up really bad just winching limbs up a bank to the chipper. The whole lot snapped in half on the third job. Turns out it hadn't been wrapped on the drum under tension and the last 15m that HAD been spooled on under tension(because we were using that 15m) bit in and melted to the loose stuff. When we unwrapped the lot the last two wraps had melted themselves on to the drum. I'm sure it's good stuff but I doubt it'll last with the rigours of tree work.

Were you winching out with it rather than free spooling? Some winches have an internal brake inside the drum, this comes on when winching out hence the heat from the friction

Not at all, Hi have a h14 and its fine if you can line the landy up with the line of pull, but if its pulling off angle(for example self recovery) there is nothing you can do to make it spool on neatly hence leading to flat spots on wire rope where it has criscrossed. Plus when it bunches up on one end of the drum it can jam itself up between the bumper and the druum - especially if you have full rope capacity on the drum.

Crikey! were you watching us today? same scenario. :001_smile: yeah it happens, unless you are dead straight. difficult to judge. Back to the OP. Wire all the way!