Potential ANCIENT tree removal

Ross Smith

I gave it a light dead wood about 6 yrs ago but too my knowledge no one has thinned it in the last 10 yrs

It's had some lower bows removed along time ago

Rough measurements are 1.7m at DBH and 5.2m total circumference.

I'm going to do a increment bore at ground level and investigate exposed root condition

I'm suspecting that compaction and excavation on one side over the years has compounded the trees issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorgeous form, and the trunk looks like someone added armor to it! Reaffirms the belief in a divine creative force afoot in the universe.

Does anyone else see the horizontal grooves on the 2 buttresses to the left? They puzzle me. I've seen these in various veterans; prevailing hypothesis to date is some kind of vascular collapse and shunt. That's a wild guess; or maybe a cable cut across it and i'm seeing things...

I'm slow on the uptake here--is the black oozing the primary cause of concern? From here it looks minor--remove the infected material, trace the wounds (dead material only), hose it off, HO3 scrub, and cauterise.

Probing the sinus with the gunk in it might lead to a rot pocket, or not. not much to talk about until the extent of cavity is determined. But the streaks on the bark might be blemishes only. The tree is innocent of instability until proven Guilty! :cursing:

thats a tricky retention, but achievable

Certainly tricky!

What sort of management plan would you set for this tree (based on just these pics, which is obviously limiting) given the weight and size of trunk alone near the road/house. I think I would be quite uncomfortable with this one...

Gorgeous form, and the trunk looks like someone added armor to it! Reaffirms the belief in a divine creative force afoot in the universe.

Does anyone else see the horizontal grooves on the 2 buttresses to the left? They puzzle me. I've seen these in various veterans; prevailing hypothesis to date is some kind of vascular collapse and shunt. That's a wild guess; or maybe a cable cut across it and i'm seeing things...

A form of fibre bucking, from the weight of the tree bearing down on a dwindling cylinder of sound wood. See Matthecks 'wrinkly socks'.

Do you get Kretz in the USA!

Uncomfortable how ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's a case where it could be retained but if the council are twitchy about retention and so is the client then you might have an uphill battle retaining it.

In my view, seeing the fibre buckling at the base and the Kretz seems pretty advanced I'd be very twitchy about retention because I'd be taking the call that it might be ok. But all it has to do is drop a limb and all hell could break loose.

Seeing dieback in the crown and Kretz rings alarm bells for me, as that tells me vascular function is being restricted more so than normal.