Screw splitter usage - a couple of questions

Sharkbait

Just picked up a screw splitter for £140 which seems pretty good but it does need a little fettling (new pto input shaft guard cone and maybe a way of attaching the 3ph top link - it's set up as a table wit legs that sits on the ground right now and is only held by the lower link arms).

Anyway, how sharp does the point on the cone need to be, very pointy or not very?

What speed do you run them at? 540 or slower?

Can I sharpen the cone with a round file?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up a screw splitter for £140 which seems pretty good but it does need a little fettling (new pto input shaft guard cone and maybe a way of attaching the 3ph top link - it's set up as a table wit legs that sits on the ground right now and is only held by the lower link arms).

Anyway, how sharp does the point on the cone need to be, very pointy or not very?

What speed do you run them at? 540 or slower?

Can I sharpen the cone with a round file?

HI MATE when we had one we run it at 540 the tip of cone needs to be sharp watch your fingers and have a stop rope mate all the best with it jon :thumbup:

the cone needs to be really pointy you can sharpen it with a half round file!!!

i run mine on 540rpm & enough engine revs my rev counter dosent work i just know when it sounds about right if not give it more or less is how i have been working it!!!!!

stop rope is a good idea aswell!!!!!

they dont bite too often in the last 18 months i have lost one glove & only one sleeve off my jacket!!!

both in the same incident!!!

it was my own fault you should not wear loose fitting clothing near any spinny thingy my sleeve was torn & hanging loose the spinny thingy bite hold of it & took it & my glove!! i had the end of my sleeve tucked into my gloves so they did not get caught up but did not do any thing about the loose material from the tear in my jacket!!!

they dont bite too often in the last 18 months i have lost one glove & only one sleeve off my jacket!!!

both in the same incident!!!

it was my own fault you should not wear loose fitting clothing near any spinny thingy my sleeve was torn & hanging loose the spinny thingy bite hold of it & took it & my glove!! i had the end of my sleeve tucked into my gloves so they did not get caught up but did not do any thing about the loose material from the tear in my jacket!!!

I supplied rings to a chap who got in the habbit of pushing the big logs on with his boot because he got his fingers nipped once too often.

He stoped doing it the day he hit the cone whith his boot and it took is boot and a chunk of flesh off his foot.

Hi chaps, i really can't see how you can catch any clothing or any thing else on the cone as you should not have any part of your body working near it, you should only push the rounds onto the point and let go when it starts to pull, it will do the rest on its own, only hold the log like you would do with a female breast so if it spins it will just spin away from you hand. Have a hand axe near to hand so if a log gets stuck you can knock it back off the cone or to separate two halves of a split log thats still joined by a small slither of wood. Been using mine for getting on 20 years and so far not a scratch.

Hi chaps, i really can't see how you can catch any clothing or any thing else on the cone as you should not have any part of your body working near it, you should only push the rounds onto the point and let go when it starts to pull, it will do the rest on its own, only hold the log like you would do with a female breast so if it spins it will just spin away from you hand. Have a hand axe near to hand so if a log gets stuck you can knock it back off the cone or to separate two halves of a split log thats still joined by a small slither of wood. Been using mine for getting on 20 years and so far not a scratch.

i did not get a scratch either i just had a loose piece of material hanging form my jacket which whilst picking up a split piece of wood the material made contact with the point & woosh it was wrapped round the cone!!! there was probs 7 or 8 inches of material flapping about from the underside of the arm of my jacket just up from the cuff so i was asking for it really! serves me right for being tight & not buying a new work coat sooner!!!!

i have used my screw type splitter for a good number of years with out any form of accident probs why complacency had set in!! i have never trapped my fingers or been bitten by the cone just on the day in question your honour i was being a tad silly!!

i guess its good to have an eye opener every once in a while it reminds us to watch what were doing!!!!