Thinking about getting a basic chainsaw mill

Ian88

So I do a fair bit of tree work so I am coming across plenty of nice pieces of wood that will often just get cut up for fire wood.

I am looking into converting a 40ft shipping container into acomidataion/storage. I will insulate and line the whole inside with ply wood but I like the idea of making work tops, shelves, windows, doors and frames from wood that is a little more special, that wouldn't get painted.

I first spotted these mills and love the look of how strait forward they and and also seem reasonably cost. (Alaskan 24" saw mill)

ALASKAN PORTABLE 24" CHAINSAW SAW MILL LOGGING SAWMILL | eBay

The currently only have two husqvarna 346xp saws, very nice saws for when doing tree work but I am unsure how suited they would be for milling.

Also, this mill is 24", would that be adjustable as I wouldn't want to put a bar that big on a 346?

I don't have any experiences with milling so I am putting this idea out for constructive criticism.

Thanks

Ian

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ian,

Rob D of this site is your man for Alaskan mills - see chainsawbars.co.uk and get your Arbtalk discount:thumbup:

You are correct in thinking that the saws you currently have are too small. You really do need something of 70cc and up. Although the mills are adjustable, the trouble is that by the time you've taken the kerf out with the cut, anything too small a diameter just isn't worth milling. You also want a longer length bar than you think for getting round branch collars and uneven shapes, and because you typically want straight timber, and the log isn't, you will usually lose a bit of the overall width when straightening up the waney edges - sometimes several inches from either side.

I can only comment on Stihl saws as I know the model number/cc, but if you want to try it something like a secondhand 044 will run a 24" mill. Since you would need to get the kit anyway, try to get a bar 6" bigger than the mill, and a powerhead that will pull that length bar at top end of its range. This is because the mill clamps to the bar, so you lose the end where roller sprocket is as you can't pinch it, and you lose the other end where the dogs are (unless you can be bothered to take them off) so you actually lose about 7-8" or so of the total bar length, or 6" if you take the dogs off.

So an 044 will run a 30" bar, which will give you a 24" cut in a mill etc. Other cheap powerheads are the 051 and 056. Chainbrakes aren't essential for milling as the bar is locked in the frame and buried in the log. The above powerheads can be had on ebay and usually sold on for about as much as you pay.

Most more serious milling needs a 36" mill or bigger, which needs a powerhead of 100cc and up to run it comfortably, with the 090 supposedly being the ultimate.

Hope this helps.

Alec

Edited by agg221

Thanks Andy, my first post, sorry about my spelling! I cant seem to edit.

agg221, thank you, very informative. It does make sense to use a bigger saw and I am pretty sure I could justify spending the money on one. More of a Husky fan, maybe a 372xp(70.7cc) would be a good saw to go for. Not meant for a 30" bar but if 6"+ of it isn't being used I would assume its fine. Pretty similar to the 044 I think.

I think I have come across one of Rob D's videos and had a look on the site. I would get one from there over ebay. I have learnt a lot from just watching this -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNrEfpI89rU]chainsawbars.co.uk - Alaskan Mill Mk III instructional video - YouTube[/ame]

Getting very inspired about this! Get a mill and live the dream . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_NbtUuyk4A&feature=related]??????????? ???????? ?? ????????? ????????? ????????. - YouTube[/ame]

Getting very inspired about this! Get a mill and live the dream . . .

:001_smile:

I could pose in a mankini while making a vid if you like? :001_tongue:

Thanks Alec for explanation - don't get one off ebay Ian - register on my website chainsawmills.co.uk - chainsawmills Resources and Information. This website is for sale! and you get 10% off. (I need to set the discount after you register).

E.g a 24" mill on ebay £239-00 inc vat and delivery.

Off CSB £180-00 less 10% discount £162-00+£5-00 delivery £167-00+vat total = £200-40.

All about good chain sharpening is chainsaw milling :biggrin:

So off the website you will save £40-00.

Just had my 560xp in the mini mill with 18"bar edging up some 8" beams, what a saw this is for its size! normaly would have a 046 for this job but was playing and came out very impresed with the smaller saw but would not want to go any lower on cc's.

As any miller will tell you its all about a sharp chain, very very important!!