Woodfuel Puzzle

Amelanchier

Hey Mr Ed... been a long week or something?!

Yeah, long hard week. Sorry mate, I came across a little bit harsh then.

Sure your electrickery might come from renewable sources, but why waste it on heating?

Quality pellet is easy enough to source, but I have a lot of contacts, so I suppose its easy for me.

The figures I gave for coppice is for oven dried tonnes at 10% MC. With any district heating system its easy to have a drying shed for chip utilising the waste heat from your boiler stack.

No..on a 15 yr rotation you divide your 30 hectares into coupes so you're cutting 1/15th of the total area of 30 hectares each year..so each area gets cut every 15 years. That would yield 30/15 hectares cut per year x 3 tons per year per hectare x 15 years = 90 tons for 10 dwellings..

If it's new planting, getting it started would take time initially.

So 1/15th of 30 hectare is 2 hectares producing 6 tons per house per year ? Assuming the crop is 15 years old?

Perhaps they'd have to import until the coppice was ready - I had thought they might. But 15 years of imports sucks a bit!

Cheers Quickthorn

Chip is very easily dried in the round, however most district sized boilers will run on chip at 50% moisture content.

When a boiler is specced that will cope with it lol. I'd have coppice on rotation and dry it in the round before chipping.

A district system is the ONLY way to do it economically with a meter in each property.

Any live projects working at the moment?

Though I'm not going to be too involved in the final spec of the town. I'm just looking into the feasibility of obtaining the land. If the area is too large (and management too costly) I imagine it'll probably get shelved as a non-starter.

Hey! Where's my thank you? I gave you the proper scientific calculation on KWH usage, AND the forestry commision studies to back up the yields from land.

Really though Tony, you need to be talking to Riley Reka http://www.riley-reka.co.uk/ in your area, as they will be able to give you all the information you need, and take you to see hundreds of existing installations.

hey! Where's my thank you? I gave you the proper scientific calculation on kwh usage, and the forestry commision studies to back up the yields from land.

Really though tony, you need to be talking to riley reka http://www.riley-reka.co.uk/ in your area, as they will be able to give you all the information you need, and take you to see hundreds of existing installations.

Thank you Ed - you da man!!

:D

This the project you had in mind........

" At the end of last year the Greater Norwich Development Partnership (GNDP) agreed their preferred option for the housing growth in and around the city and said the area could cope with 21,000 homes between now and 2026 with another 2,000 in Mangreen from 2018. This includes a possible eco-town in Rackheath....." edp 16/1/09