Log Burner - Overnight burning

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Our Rayburn is on 24/7 and is stocked up fully overnight. As Billy says, we get the temperature up high prior to closing it down (and we don't close it to the point of smoldering) and it's fine. We sweep the chimney fairly regularly so any tar build up isn't an issue.

When you rely on the fire for all heat and hot water, an overnight burn is a necessity.

Hi Billy/Jon yes run ours hard for 30/1hr before then I load it up with large very well seasoned oak that gives off good heat as ours is 16kw stove and cast iron so a good stove thanks jon

I'm starting to think that it's not going to be long before insured companies start charging a higher premium to houses with wood burners installed. Last winter locally to me there was a dramatic increase in chimney fires and house fires where a wood burner was installed. There is also an issue with the amount of heat generated in the upper section of the chimney, which never used to occur from an open fire. Old houses were not designed to have this excessive heat built up.

One of my friends burnt his and his neighbours house down by shutting his fire down the other week! Set of in the chimney and then went right through both houses! He's in a right mess now. But he'd fitted it himself and I don't think it was really meant fir it!

But to rub salt in the wound his insurance won't pay because he didn't have a HEATAS cert for it! The neighbour wants £25000 of him for the damage

I'm starting to think that it's not going to be long before insured companies start charging a higher premium to houses with wood burners installed. Last winter locally to me there was a dramatic increase in chimney fires and house fires where a wood burner was installed. There is also an issue with the amount of heat generated in the upper section of the chimney, which never used to occur from an open fire. Old houses were not designed to have this excessive heat built up.

Our house insurance company asked this time how many open fires and how many stoves.

you need a bigger water tank:001_tt2:

Tricky when you're in a rented house - took enough to get them to approve the Rayburn installation (paid for itself in the first two winters by not having to buy oil).

Access to our loft space is a nightmare - the hot water cylinder is fairly tiny.

Tricky when you're in a rented house - took enough to get them to approve the Rayburn installation (paid for itself in the first two winters by not having to buy oil).

Access to our loft space is a nightmare - the hot water cylinder is fairly tiny.

HI JON do you cook on yours mate as the food is better i think :thumbup1:jon:thumbup:

I have a stovax-Brunel. It has air vents in the door and underneath nr the ash pan. Which one should be open to burn wood?

I have always used the lower one and kept the top one shut

[ATTACH]103581[/ATTACH]

Bottom closed for wood as the draw needs to come from above but if using coal the air needs to come from below. Just upgraded my stove to an invitica max output is 23kw it has been going since Saturday and I have used half the logs I would of burnt on my old stove. Can't fault it then at 1200 pounds it should be efficient.