Log Burner - Overnight burning

On the assumption that you have a professionally installed burner and flue and that you are using seasoned logs.....

Are you happy to stock up your burner with logs before you hit the sack, close the vent down and let it tick over at night?

I ask as I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the effect this might have to the liner? I have in the past done this but now think that even with seasoned logs this will cause the flue to cool and creosote to form on the lining wall. Does anyone have any long term evidence of this?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Nick,

if you load up the stove and turn it down you're going to end up with creasote in your flue and a very black window.

To burn overnight we fill the stove, burn it hot for an hour or two til a big bed of glowing coals and little flame, then turn it down for the night = no black glass, no creasote.

Good video, overnight burn info at 6 mins 30 sec ish -

Our Rayburn is on 24/7 and is stocked up fully overnight. As Billy says, we get the temperature up high prior to closing it down (and we don't close it to the point of smoldering) and it's fine. We sweep the chimney fairly regularly so any tar build up isn't an issue.

When you rely on the fire for all heat and hot water, an overnight burn is a necessity.

if I'm after an overnight burn I add about 6 lumps of smokeless coal about an hour before I go to bed. Get the temp right up so the coal is red hot and no smoke then close it down a bit.

The following morning the coals will still be orange underneath a grey coating so I can just chuck on some small pieces of wood and open the bottom air vent to get it all going again.

This is on a Clearview stove with an unlined chimney. I don't do it often - usually when we've run out of oil, like last friday :blushing: We have another stove going in soon but this chimney will be lined and the fitter has said that smokeless coal is a no-no.

I find that the stove is so quick to get going in the morning from cold that it's barely worth leaving it in overnight - but it doesn't do all our heat.

Our local fire service was busy yesterday, 3 chimney fires with wood burning stoves, I guess people are shutting them down when they go out, then opening the draught and roaring it up, setting alight to the creosote in the liner. Had many many chimney fire throuout last winter locally, majority were wood burner related.

We have another stove going in soon but this chimney will be lined and the fitter has said that smokeless coal is a no-no..

If it's not too late...

What your fitter should have said is that if you go for the higher grade of liner (914 stainless) you can use smokeless coal. It's only a little bit more - especially when the labour costs are taken into account - and it well worth it for longevity.

I've got a chimney that's part-lined - single skin flue half way up, then plain brick as originally built. The top half is getting lined with 914 flexi liner this coming weekend - in my case the 914 is so I can use a boiler stove which has greater tendency to produce corrosive gases.

Our local fire service was busy yesterday, 3 chimney fires with wood burning stoves, I guess people are shutting them down when they go out, then opening the draught and roaring it up, setting alight to the creosote in the liner. Had many many chimney fire throuout last winter locally, majority were wood burner related.

I think we're going to see more and more of this until folks become educated about green logs and avoiding them.

I had a new customer come back to me last week for a second lot of 2m3. I commented that he must be happy with the ones I sold him 3 weeks ago and he said: "Oh yes. Much better than the ones from xxx estate." xxx is the local big supplier, an estate well known to many on here and that has a sawmill selling logs too.

Back to my comment on cranking it up and getting it hot - it isn't just about having a hot fire to start with before your close it down, it's about making sure you've driven out all the remaining water before you close it down.

On the assumption that you have a professionally installed burner and flue and that you are using seasoned logs.....

Are you happy to stock up your burner with logs before you hit the sack, close the vent down and let it tick over at night?

I ask as I'm curious what people's thoughts are on the effect this might have to the liner? I have in the past done this but now think that even with seasoned logs this will cause the flue to cool and creosote to form on the lining wall. Does anyone have any long term evidence of this?

a lot of stoves are not meant for overnight burning