Rates of pay?

Treeman1

It would be lovely to start a study of arboricutural wages for the variety of sectors, areas, levels of; skill; experience; qualifications; desire of the employee, ability, types of work carried out over the years etc.

The location within which we live will sometimes depict the type of money that A, the client earns and can therefore warrant paying and the accepted cost of a job, B, the living costs of the place of living, C, how much the company charge and how they operate. Plus many more.

It would be interesting to see if people who pay 180 a day are employing people for work of say reducing 3 20ft cherries with a 15ft spread in a huge open garden and reshaping a regular pruned thuja of say 8ft high, then reshaping a privet hedge of 15ft length. Or are they reducing 60ft-90ft pops in a garden the size of a postage stamp requiring more than an ability to handle a chainsaw with 'proficiency' within the canopy, recognising the need to work the site, the tree, the saw, the ropes, the dismantling, etc.

If you are self employed and your personal life etc costs you 650 a week then work out how many days a week you want to work, if it 5 then divide by 5 etc, but dont forget, you will need to replace your ppe, climbing equipment, have your kit lolered etc as and when required. So you will need to incorporate that into your figures. Basically as a self employed or freelance person I think you are runnning a business and therefore should function in the same way as company owners have to. Price your day and sell the service.

I have recently been speaking to many people in the building trade and things are considerably bad in many sectors of that industry, some skilled and experienced carpenters etc are working for £90 self employed.

I think its about time that people appreciated the fact that they A, have a job, B, it is an industry that they'claim to love' working in. and C, that whilst their college tutor or a colleague has told them that they are amazing, the reality is that they still have much to learn about this job and therefore should look at positives of doing this job rather than purely the negatives of wages, which to be fair as stated are either not very well explained at carreers advice office in the sense of whats required for experienced 'status' or people do not research the subject prior to choosing the career or 'vocation' as industry likes to call it.

Infact shall we start a thread titled the positives of working in arboriculture. and another titled the negatives of working in arboricutlure. two seperate threads so its clearly identifiable to people where posts sit.

Edited by jaime bray

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be lovely to start a study of arboricutural wages for the variety of sectors, areas, levels of; skill; experience; qualifications; desire of the employee, ability, types of work carried out over the years etc.

The location within which we live will sometimes depict the type of money that A, the client earns and can therefore warrant paying and the accepted cost of a job, B, the living costs of the place of living, C, how much the company charge and how they operate. Plus many more.

It would be interesting to see if people who pay 180 a day are employing people for work of say reducing 3 20ft cherries with a 15ft spread in a huge open garden and reshaping a regular pruned thuja of say 8ft high, then reshaping a privet hedge of 15ft length. Or are they reducing 60ft-90ft pops in a garden the size of a postage stamp requiring more than an ability to handle a chainsaw with 'proficiency' within the canopy, recognising the need to work the site, the tree, the saw, the ropes, the dismantling, etc.

If you are self employed and your personal life etc costs you 650 a week then work out how many days a week you want to work, if it 5 then divide by 5 etc, but dont forget, you will need to replace your ppe, climbing equipment, have your kit lolered etc as and when required. So you will need to incorporate that into your figures. Basically as a self employed or freelance person I think you are runnning a business and therefore should function in the same way as company owners have to. Price your day and sell the service.

I have recently been speaking to many people in the building trade and things are considerably bad in many sectors of that industry, some skilled and experienced carpenters etc are working for £90 self employed.

I think its about time that people appreciated the fact that they A, have a job, B, it is an industry that they'claim to love' working in. and C, that whilst their college tutor or a colleague has told them that they are amazing, the reality is that they still have much to learn about this job and therefore should look at positives of doing this job rather than purely the negatives of wages, which to be fair as stated are either not very well explained at carreers advice office in the sense of whats required for experienced 'status' or people do not research the subject prior to choosing the career or 'vocation' as industry likes to call it.

Infact shall we start a thread titled the positives of working in arboriculture. and another titled the negatives of working in arboricutlure. two seperate threads so its clearly identifiable to people where posts sit.

You see a post like that and realise there is absolutely nothing to add.

Very nicely put:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Rates of pay should be determined by type of work ,location etc .

I notice alot of the people saying 150-180 is a days wage are down south.. Where you have to pay through the nose for a one bedroom flat!, so up in the lovely north we can make money go a lot further!

Eg down at twickenham and paid just over a fiver a pint!! Where my local is a couple of quid a pint. So does that mean I can pay 75 a day as its a lot cheaper up here? Probably not.. End of the day as a subbie you take what your offered and if your not happy go elsewhere ad you may get more But don't come crying ack when you find grass ain't greener and it goes tits up.... Just a thought...

You see a post like that and realise there is absolutely nothing to add.

Very nicely put:thumbup:

I also agree. I worked 13yrs. for a well known charity with large UK land holdings. It paid almost nothing, hardly a living wage for a frugal person. But I really liked both the job and being mainly outdoors. Ok so it had its downs but the ups more than made up for them.

There's a great deal to say about enjoying what you do. You may not have a huge house house, you certainly have to think twice before buying something you want but may not really need. But how many people trudge through their working day, 50wks of the year, just so they can enjoy the other 2wks in the open air? Compare that to being able to enjoy, (all the time) what they aspire to, as they look at their screensaver of last year's holiday amongst the trees.

If you have a reason to love your job and it may not be the money. Then enjoy it for what it is; for what it gives you that you'd not get elsewhere. If on the other hand, you dwell on the money others are making. I humbly suggest, you may be in the wrong job.

Edited by TGB