Hedge cutting

zeroluke

Most of you will know I dont do this kind of work, but I take an interest in what you guys think and do.

I strikes me that many of you are thinking too small. There seems to be a general opinion that it should be cheaper if done by a small busines rather than a large one. WHY?

Surely the job is worth the same to a customer whoever does it, as long as the standard of work is the same. If this is this case then the small guy should be charging the large guys rates (or very close too) and making a decent living.

The argument of 'end of day fill in job' 'get the job every year' etc is all very well, but if it was me I would sooner get every year at £120 rather than £45. Once you have started cheap it will be impossible to increase the price, and next year you may not have the opportunity for a fill in job.

Sorry to be critical, but I think many of you guys work far too cheap for your own good, and spoil it not only for others, but for yourselves in the future.

Value yourselves and others will value you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you will know I dont do this kind of work, but I take an interest in what you guys think and do.

I strikes me that many of you are thinking too small. There seems to be a general opinion that it should be cheaper if done by a small busines rather than a large one. WHY?

Surely the job is worth the same to a customer whoever does it, as long as the standard of work is the same. If this is this case then the small guy should be charging the large guys rates (or very close too) and making a decent living.

The argument of 'end of day fill in job' 'get the job every year' etc is all very well, but if it was me I would sooner get every year at £120 rather than £45. Once you have started cheap it will be impossible to increase the price, and next year you may not have the opportunity for a fill in job.

Sorry to be critical, but I think many of you guys work far too cheap for your own good, and spoil it not only for others, but for yourselves in the future.

Value yourselves and others will value you.

You are absolutely correct :thumbup1:

However in reality very few people would £120 for that job, its a job they could do themselves or get a gardener to do.

I get asked to quote lots of jobs like that, generally while doing other tree works on the same road, I get very few of them because I'm too dear, but if there is time in the day I may quote £80 if we do it there and then, even at that I only win a few.

TBH I don't think large Co's well do many if any jobs that size.

You are absolutely correct :thumbup1:

However in reality very few people would £120 for that job, its a job they could do themselves or get a gardener to do.

I get asked to quote lots of jobs like that, generally while doing other tree works on the same road, I get very few of them because I'm too dear, but if there is time in the day I may quote £80 if we do it there and then, even at that I only win a few.

TBH I don't think large Co's well do many if any jobs that size.

I know what you mean skyhuck, but too many people judge the price on what it would cost to do it themeslves if it were theirs.

The reality is that many customers with a hedge like this simply would not know how to do it, so its a big problem to them, and they are willing to pay to get it done. They would be quite willing to pay £120 until they find that someone will do it for £45.

If you all assume that they will find the cheaper option you will always quote cheap. I would have thought it better to quote higher and risk losing the odd job.

I only say this because I do really think that too many self employed gardeners etc are working much too cheap, I would like to see them earning realistic money.

I have many such people as customers. I admire many of them for the efficiency of their business and the money they make, but there are others who work in the same area much too cheaply and have a job to make ends meet which I find frustrating when I know they could do as well as some of the others.

I said £175, which so far is a lot higher than anyone else, so I'd lose out to the others. I aim to replace hedge trimmers yearly, I am now considering using Aspen for all trimming work, which is phenomenally expensive, and the arisings still need clearing up. Then I'd consider the area, what appears to be a one man job probably requires a spare pair of eyes to keep an eye on tools etc. Suddenly the price has rocketed. Nice quick little job and some scrote runs off with half your kit, down some rat run of alley ways that most estates have. £175 is still my price, they can take it or leave it, most "little jobs" never fit in when it's convenient for you, they expect to be treated special and when it suits them.

£60. My two Polish lads would zip that off in half an hour between them on the way back from another job, and do a proper nice cut. Anything over £100 is daylight robbery.

Although pricing a job can vary from one local to another, the key is to have a profit made at the end of the day. Depending on ones overhead prices can and will vary a great deal. Market conditions and being able to read your customers has as much to do with the price as ones profit level, IMO.

At least that's how bidding and securing work over here works.

easy-lift guy