Bad News Ash Disease discovered in East Anglia

arbwork

I could be adding 2 and 2 here and getting 5 but my wife bought a pot plant at Hampton Court back in the summer. The seller apologised for the condition of plants not being as good as usual and put it down to too little light in the extended poor weather.

Marketing bull or a justified explanation and could it apply to the trees? Could a large part of the current situation be down to something as basic as too little light in a poor summer?

Snioppet from nearby Informed Tree Services website...

"The Forestry Commission Scotland have released the following disease alert. It relates to Chalara fraxinea - a potentially very serious risk to our Fraxinus excelsior (Common Ash) population.:

"Alert issued as ash tree disease found in Scotland

Forestry Commission Scotland is urging woodland managers throughout Scotland to be vigilant for signs of a serious disease that has affected ash trees in Europe. The appeal follows the discovery of Chalara dieback of ash (caused by the fungus Chalara fraxinea) in trees planted in 2009 in a woodland managed by Forest Enterprise Scotland (FES) at Knockmountain, 2km north of Kilmacolm.

"The 200 hectare (ha) site has 20 ha of mixed broadleaves including 58,000 ash plants. The disease, which has recently been recorded at three nursery sites / locations in England, has the potential to kill millions of ash trees if it spreads into the natural environment – as it has done in Europe, including the death of an estimated 60 to 90 per cent of Denmark’s ash trees.

Bugger!

I saw an FC guy being interviewed on the news last night. He was asked by the interviewer if he was confident if the measures they were implementing to contain the outbreak in East Anglia would halt the spread.

After a long pause he simply replied "hopeful". From the look on his face as he said it it I got the impression he was hopeless.

If Daltontrees is right and there is already another outbreak in Scotland, then it is very likely that the genie is well and truly out of the bottle on this one.

Tragic!

Unless I've missed it, and I've looked in all the obvious places, we have so far received no advice or guidelines on biosecurity measures.

As a forestry sub-contractor in East Anglia working on several sites I would hate to think that I could be spreading this disease from one ancient woodland to another without even knowing it.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

How on earth will this be dealt with? Presumably when Dutch elm disease struck, health and safety was pretty non existent. Would it take years to remove all ash trees? Is this grave problem really going to create a mass flood of work? I don't have my cs Certs at present. Shall I invest the thick end of 1k on training? Will be a very sad state as we have 5 stunning enormous ash trees at our field.