Bad News Ash Disease discovered in East Anglia

arbwork

And so it begins, and no its not airborn its been shipped in on ash 40% of ou plants are imported, some are even labelled of uk provenance as they take uk seed grow it on, its shipped to holland germinated then shoipped to poland and grown on, then shipped to germany grown on to mature and then shipped back through holland to us!

This is a disgraceful situation, and there is no excuses, we should have shut down this trade when DED was first discovered.

And so it begins, and no its not airborn its been shipped in on ash 40% of ou plants are imported, some are even labelled of uk provenance as they take uk seed grow it on, its shipped to holland germinated then shoipped to poland and grown on, then shipped to germany grown on to mature and then shipped back through holland to us!

This is a disgraceful situation, and there is no excuses, we should have shut down this trade when DED was first discovered.

This makes my blood boil. There is just no need for it, apart from to make a few pennies, and look at the potential costs. I dont think i can image where i live without ash trees. I would rather not have the work...

Sent from my GT-S5690 using Tapatalk 2

what makes you so confident about this when FERA and FC is considering this currently:confused1:

There is an import ban on ash, and most planting schemes including ash are on hold, FC are planting none currently on their sites

My biggest issue currently is the biosecurity set ups of most woodland contractors and advisors which quite frankly is pi$$ poor :thumbdown:

I will be interested to see what they think the pathway was that lead to it being in a woodland trust wood, as if its being transported by visitors then the level of access to some woods should be considered being restricted

Did anyone else notice this year how poorly foliated the Ashes were? As an aside, I've also noticed a lot of dead willows as well, especially re-pollards that haven't recovered.

Felled an Ash at the in-laws' this year which, although covered with buds, never came into leaf. Got no idea what the problem with it was. :confused1:

Did anyone else notice this year how poorly foliated the Ashes were? As an aside, I've also noticed a lot of dead willows as well, especially re-pollards that haven't recovered.

yes mate,all over somerset,scabby ash after scabby ash. worst condition ive seen em in

I doubt there was much trade in native species in 1970, it's grown with globalisation. GATT in 1994 brought a lot of imports in.

This business of shutting the door after the horse had bolted is similar to how FMD got out in 2001, the government announce a transport ban for the following day at midnight and a haulier decided to load animals up and make the trip to Devon, dropping off some near Liverpool.

The FC scientist on BBC tonight was suggesting the ban would start before the November start of planting but that has allowed a lot of pot grown stock to continue in. From 10 years back my brother in law was finding it was pot grown native standards from Italy that were out competing him.

all i can add to this as i live in the east Anglia region i will keep my eye out as i have seen a few rough looking ash tree's looks like its begun hopefully the spread will be limited as there are some huge ash tree around my way and will be said to see them gone on the plus side it may give me some extra work in these tough times

Yep. Got a dead (for no obvious reason) weeping willow to take down soon, about 40 years old, was in good health, came into leaf this summer and then just failed within a few weeks.

Also starting to get into the Ash in the woods now, coppice stock mainly, on a 14 year rotation and its looking pretty poor. Many of the leaves already gone (Ash always been a 'hanger on-er' ime), and the trees just generally not looking right, if you know what I mean. Sometimes with many years of cutting under your belt you know when things arn't looking well, but you can't put your finger on why.

So yeh, I've noticed it to, and am pretty worried. The whole import business is something I have been involved in many moons ago and have never been that comfertable with. Hope I'm wrong but something like this has been on the horizon now for sometime with the amount of importing of stock (not just trees but shrubs, plants, flowers etc too) that goes on.

Keep a close eye out, read the FC / official blurb and guides and keep talking to each other about what we have seen and what we see. Something like this needs to all of us to be open and observant keep eyes well peeled.