Bad News Ash Disease discovered in East Anglia

arbwork

I rather enjoyed that clip, I've opened Youtube for further ones.

I recall the final song of the film very well from only hearing it once as a child.

As far as the theme goes (money) I feel the same way about rows of dying leylandii, peoples paranoia over pine processional caterpillars and those who can't sleep easy without fearing THAT tree will fall on their bedroom on night...

Stuart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
It is ravaging Northern France, Belgium and Netherlands.
I've made several trips across France these last couple of months and seen hedgerows and entire woodlands bristling with bare ash stems as well as piles of cut ash waiting to be chipped for bio-mass.
Not seen it's presence in Brittany but ash is fairly uncommon here.
 Stuart
Travelling from schiphol to goes it was everywhere and has just decimated some copse and woodlands we drove past. Significantly more prominent than I've seen in Norfolk (of which I thought was bad, but now thinking not as bad). A friend seems to be spending a lot of time removing Ash over everything else.

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Vigen Tigen said:

Is this young ash sapling showing the symptoms of the disease? It's 5m away from larger brethren which aren't showing signs. If it is diseased, what should I do with this sapling? Thanks

6BD0C3A5-DEB9-46DE-8ABE-9A5B943D5FFC.jpeg

Might be sun scorch / drought stress but with the river near by maybe not . If its Chalara you might as well piss at the moon .

Pretty sure its adb.

As for what to do you could prune remove the dead bits back to live wood. It probably won't help the tree recover or even survive long run but u never know....

Trees nearby hopefully might be more resistant. I wouldn't worry about them getting infected by the little tree, as the spores are everywhere  and they will still get it anyway, if they are gonna get it etc regardless...

• Like 1

Strangely I don't tend to see many withered leaves on trees with dieback.

Usually there's healthy looking branches with leaves interspersed with bare dead branches with nothing. So you get the dead man's fingers appearance sticking out the top of the tree.

In any case, little or no point doing anything other than let nature take it's course anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

Strangely I don't tend to see many withered leaves on trees with dieback.

Usually there's healthy looking branches with leaves interspersed with bare dead branches with nothing. So you get the dead man's fingers appearance sticking out the top of the tree.

In any case, little or no point doing anything other than let nature take it's course anyway.

I would have agreed with this, except maybe the leaf cover looks thinner than it should. After the recent rain and wind though it blew down a load of leaves and quite a few of the ones which came down are brown. Must have been up there but couldn't see them.

• Like 1