petrol wood splitters

andy goddard

6-8inch is a lot of logs for an ivor williams 12*6 level load we doing a job on a small holding next to a river about half mile clearing river bank the owner told me and my brother that we can use one of the barns free of charge to store our firewood which we accepted , so we are looking for a petrol log splitter ..andy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They weigh a lot! My guess would be 200+kgs?

The only problem with mounting it on indespension units would be that it might upset the height. When you put it in vertical mode it is designed so that the base of the splitter touches the floor and then very slightly lift the wheels off the ground. This make it safe and stable to use.

Bigger wheels and indespension would mean that the base of the splitter woudl be off the ground during use which defeats the object as you can't get big rings in it. You woud then have to redesign the mounting of the ram to get it lower again.

My trailer cost about 500quid, new. A second hand one would save you the hassle of rebuilding what is essentially a well made well designed machine.