petrol wood splitters

andy goddard

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not exactly that model but that was the nearest picture I could find on the web.

Its very good. 25T (american tonns?) not 25K Kgs! Its is a little slow but plenty of power. You can tow it around the yard but not on road as it has no suspension, it could be bolted onto a trailer or just get another trailer for it to go into. I have a small Iffor williams p6 4ftx6ft that is fits into niclely.

Its perfect for arb waste splittign as we mostly have large rings, these are then split at ground level so no lifting. Sometimes you have to flip them over and get them to land "in" the splitter if they are to big to push into place.

Price is around 1500 quid, maybe a bit more today. I think Jonsie sells them?

Ideally you want two people operating, as one can get the next log while your holding down the handles. (you could change the hydraulic valve to one handed use but of course this is not recomended) Then I would gues you could do a ton in well under an hour if you have the rings ready to go.

Mind you 6-8 inches thats a lot of logs to make up a ton!

We occasionally take the splitter as in the picture, and then break up larger rings into manageables instead of cutting the rings smaller.

On your own it is quite slow!

Get a log, put it in, press both levers, maybe 10-30 seconds, lift both levers, kick log away and go and get the next one, then you still have to chuck them on the truck or trailer!

Two people is best.

Other uses!!!

We cut leylandii (over 6inch diameter) into 28 inch lengths and bring it to the yard. Then split it on a early finish day and put it through the chipper.

Also, we hire it out to customers who have requested to keep the logs and then looked at the pile of rings and said "what am I going to do with them!"