Girdled roots

David Humphries

Discovered this beech to have a major girlding lateral root that appears to be restricting the growth of the root buttresses over a section of the root crown of the tree.

Possibly caused by a deflection at some point.

I think that there must be a significant constriction at play, restricting not just structural development but also the potential uptake of water & nutrients.

So

5 years on from the start of this thread and there are signs of some of buttresses swelling after being released from the partially removed girdling root.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1494433115.108103.jpg.287cd878eb14b3051f89ceeb382d07f7.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1494433320.643496.jpg.5ad5ca30539460a4d25c81313ece9079.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1494433339.689526.jpg.bd5ea164432af2363d3dc82861e98b97.jpg

Edited by David Humphries

So

5 years on from the start of this thread and there are signs of some of buttresses swelling after being released from the partially removed girdling root.

[ATTACH]219872[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]219874[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]219875[/ATTACH]

So there is David . Tis what you would expect though ?

It's what I was hoping to see, but I'm a little surprised by the time in terms of how long it's taken to notice the growth.

The tree is pretty vigorous.

The far right root ( in the picture ) seems to be noticeably thicker but was not initially girdled so it seems as though ( from the only pictures I can see ) that vigor is enjoying its self ! Do you think that possibly it is a latent effect ( the result of removing the restriction ) and it take a while for the tree to " realize " and and take advantage of its new circumstances ?

Edited by Stubby

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...