Setting up

WoodMouse

If you live in Croydon, Gristwood and Toms have a yard nearby. They are a big commercial tree company. I would recommend seeing if you can get a few trial days with them, maybe get yourself some work. It would be a good initiation to the industry.

Gristwood & Toms : Welcome : 08458 731500

Regarding your other suggestions

7.5 tonne lorries are difficult/impossible to manuevre into some driveways, sometimes we barely get our transit in and out of a site!

Despite that loader being less than the width of a door/gate, you assume that all access is the same width. The number of sites i have worked on where the access between the fence and house is barely enough to walk through, with sharp corners as well, not appropriate for a wheelbarrow, let alone a mini-loader.

I think most people would be happier with a £500 quote and a bit of a scruffy lawn than a £1000 quote because you had to spend twice as long using more manpower AND expensive machinery.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the chipper front the worst bit of kit i bought was a tw100g , took ages and hard work to to get rid of brash , having said that it was still better than brash in the back of the tipper then mashing it up when i first started, which also lead to 2 trips to the tip instead of just 1. decided to sort my **** out and onto a tw125 which cost 3k more and life was heaven. made money back much faster , 1/3rd of a day saved here n there.

tbh ive only been out of colledge just over 1 year , the 2 parttime years before that at colledge were a complete waste of time, i learnt more from books,videos and on here from posts from people who been doing this since there were shittin yellow.

i supose the only other reason i can keep going is by coming from a business background of 14years in the motorindustry (bodyshop with brother) - so working 6-7 days 10-12hrs was nothing new.

the best tool i have is 2 wheel barrows

If you live in Croydon, Gristwood and Toms have a yard nearby. They are a big commercial tree company. I would recommend seeing if you can get a few trial days with them, maybe get yourself some work. It would be a good initiation to the industry.

Gristwood & Toms : Welcome : 08458 731500

Regarding your other suggestions

7.5 tonne lorries are difficult/impossible to manuevre into some driveways, sometimes we barely get our transit in and out of a site!

I've been using 7.5t lorries for 28 years and could count on one hand the number of times I couldn't get into a driveway!

A 7.5t lorry is just under 7ft wide and a transit about 6ft (I think) so not that much different.

I've been using 7.5t lorries for 28 years and could count on one hand the number of times I couldn't get into a driveway!

A 7.5t lorry is just under 7ft wide and a transit about 6ft (I think) so not that much different.

Thanks All, i would have to agree, depends on the truck at the end of the day. But one things for sure, they didn't get the furniture in with a car. :thumbup: