Running in new saw

nicholiath

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We usually turn Huskys down to about 12500 for the first few hours use and then turn it back up to 13600 ish.

Smaller huskys tend to like reving fast after running in and seem to love the fast pace lifestyle.

Speaking to forestry commission guys, they seem to do the same with 346's and swear by running in.

Stihl technical guy always tells us to do it with a tacho to get it bob on because they are so finely tuned these days that even 2-300 rpm above recomended could shorten the engines life dramatically. He also said that there in no way on earth a person could guess its rpm by ear within 2-300rpm.

If it's your own saw then maybe best ask you dealer, if he is any good.

Forestry guys say richen them up for the first week (40hrs). Then bang them on the dyno and tune them up to 500rpm above manufactures max, then change piston rings and crank bearings at 6 months (1000hrs). All my saws have done 2000hrs this way before they are retired.

I run my saws in, i think it does do damage in the long run, and i think they'll pack in alot quicker than a saw thats been run in. I have bought a saw brand new out of the box, and through it in the deep end, and now its about 2yrs old and it just doesnt seem right, doesnt seem to hit its peak.

Thats just my opinion though.

From a Newbee

This is good news form someone who is about to get his first Husky. "Run It In"

I can’t understand why anyone would rag something that they paid for, just to get the job done quicker…seems a waste of money to me

The heights by great men reached and kept, were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept, were toiling upwards in the night

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)