EU Imported firewood into the UK

billythegoat

Hello guys, if anyone are looking for a high quality supplier of kd logs or other wood fuel products like eco logs or pellets, please contact by personal message.

Exported over 250 loads this season to UK, only high quality logs.

• 9 months later...

I import. There may well be a trade tarrif imposed amongst other things.

There's a 2 year negotiation before anything happens. What hurts me at the minute is the exchange rate.

If I could buy local for the same quality and price then I would.

If imports were restricted there would be quite the shortage of wood. The UK just doesn't have enough to be self sufficient

whos going to compete on price, if we paid wages like the Baltics it would be classed as slave labour.

We don't import but we're always getting offers. The last lot we were offered was actually £85 a cube delivered for ash which is way more than we would charge for it although I expect that's a stacked cube.

Obviously the exchange rate has had a big effect recently.

Anyone been importing any wood in lately and do you think if Britain leaves the e.u it will have on effect on price etc, I for one hope they try and limit foreign imports and focus on selling our own wood aswell as by limiting imports it surely limits the risk of importing diseases

Kiln dried products should be disease free. Its the exchange rate that will control how much we import not the EU, there is at least half a dozen countries busting to get product to us, not all are in the EU..

For a stove retailer like me its just another product to buy and sell, I do enjoy processing as I think most of us do but I only have a little machine, 6 or 8 cube a day single handed. To upgrade means laying out 40k or so for machinery and a larger used tractor to power it, somewhat less buying a used processor and rack. With cord at £60 a ton delivered and logs being sold at £85 a cube delivered and including VAT at 5% I cant see any return, especially when you take into account the amount of storage and the rent and rates on that space needed to store perhaps 1000 cube to justify the capital lay out.

Until the price of cord comes down to a realistic level then I will mostly buy in, I can store 3 containers worth, and have them replenished within 7 days from the Baltic, so smaller store, less outlay in drying timber, no major capital costs with equipment.

But with RHI i cant see the costs coming down.

A

Kiln dried products should be disease free. Its the exchange rate that will control how much we import not the EU, there is at least half a dozen countries busting to get product to us, not all are in the EU..

For a stove retailer like me its just another product to buy and sell, I do enjoy processing as I think most of us do but I only have a little machine, 6 or 8 cube a day single handed. To upgrade means laying out 40k or so for machinery and a larger used tractor to power it, somewhat less buying a used processor and rack. With cord at £60 a ton delivered and logs being sold at £85 a cube delivered and including VAT at 5% I cant see any return, especially when you take into account the amount of storage and the rent and rates on that space needed to store perhaps 1000 cube to justify the capital lay out.

Until the price of cord comes down to a realistic level then I will mostly buy in, I can store 3 containers worth, and have them replenished within 7 days from the Baltic, so smaller store, less outlay in drying timber, no major capital costs with equipment.

But with RHI i cant see the costs coming down.

A

What you are saying is right but it's interesting what you said about the cord price having to come down.

Why does the cord price have to come down? Why don't the retail prices go up?

Harvesting companies have costs like everyone and all costs are increasing so there's no reason why the cordwood should stay the same price, also supply the demand comes to mind! Like anything if the wholesale price goes up the retailer puts the retail price up. Doesn't seem to happen so much in firewood, everyone just moans about cord price but keeps there prices the same

Alycidon estimation is close to accurate. To make a sufficient margin to make the investment in equipment worthwhile, then around the 1000 cube in sales is required. It is not until you get over 1500 that things become more comfortable (well thats what I hear).

Importing does not sit well with a lot more suppliers and customers than was in intially the case and we work hard at promoting locally grown timber. A lot more customers are asking about provenance.

There are 10's of 1000s of tree surgeons and landowners who sell the timber that they did not have to buy. If you speak to a cross section of them, it becomes clear that most have not considered changing their prices that may have been the same for the last 5 years, as they haven't had the financial outlay.

I would suggest that it is that section of the retail market that keep prices low.

High level quality control is where we differ and we accept that 1/3 of the customers will base their decision on price and look elsewhere.

Interesting how peoples view differ depending on their setup, and how financial v moral can have an influence. :001_smile:

What you are saying is right but it's interesting what you said about the cord price having to come down.

Why does the cord price have to come down? Why don't the retail prices go up?

Harvesting companies have costs like everyone and all costs are increasing so there's no reason why the cordwood should stay the same price, also supply the demand comes to mind! Like anything if the wholesale price goes up the retailer puts the retail price up. Doesn't seem to happen so much in firewood, everyone just moans about cord price but keeps there prices the same

The thing your all missing is there are too many middle men involved taking there cut!! Hardwood is where they make a large portion of there money! As a harvesting contractor I get approx the same rate per ton as they were getting 20yrs ago and costs have gone through the roof since then. Yes machines are more productive but a new harvester now is £300k plus, a reliable used is £200k plus yet rates don't rise with inflation. Land owners and the middle man are reaping the rewards of the price roadside. I understand why people import but seriously dissagee with it and what lies behind it! I know a big firewood seller in Kent who has a kiln not to increase his price but to reduce his cash outlay and improve cash flow. Normal year £35k for wood year to dry min then sale. Now wood comes in 7 days later it's ready for sale. Cash flowing nicely!

The thing your all missing is there are too many middle men involved taking there cut!! Hardwood is where they make a large portion of there money! As a harvesting contractor I get approx the same rate per ton as they were getting 20yrs ago and costs have gone through the roof since then. Yes machines are more productive but a new harvester now is £300k plus, a reliable used is £200k plus yet rates don't rise with inflation. Land owners and the middle man are reaping the rewards of the price roadside. I understand why people import but seriously dissagee with it and what lies behind it! I know a big firewood seller in Kent who has a kiln not to increase his price but to reduce his cash outlay and improve cash flow. Normal year £35k for wood year to dry min then sale. Now wood comes in 7 days later it's ready for sale. Cash flowing nicely!

So what are you saying,..you are not getting a high enough rate for doing the job,? If not why not?