EU Imported firewood into the UK

billythegoat

That's nonsense.

On a related note nature at Chernobyl is thriving, typical article..

What happened to wildlife when Chernobyl drove humans out? It thrived | @GrrlScientist | Science | The Guardian

Shows what happens when humans butt out. Quangos take note, instead of "managing" everything just fence your reserves off and let nature get on with it.

a few years ago I went to Chernobyl for a visit. Nature really is taking over :) the thing I remember most is feeding the fish in the cooling ponds, some were 6 foot long.

Regarding the logs, I think it's wrong to import them when there are so many trees in the UK...

We just got a sample net from a potential supplier, originating in Latvia. A 30L net containing mixed kiln dried hardwood. It's certainly dry! With my cheap meter it reads 14% on the end or side grain, but the piece I split was too dry to get a reading from the inside. Of course this begs the question why dry so much, when it's just going to pick up moisture in storage and/or transport.

Re phrase this please. Are you a home owner looking to buy one cube for your own use, if so please advise your approx location and your local suppliers will contact you.

If you are looking to buy 54 stacked crates and can handle/unload a container then I posted my costs last summer earlier in this thread.

A

I am a producer trying to enter UK market.

That's surely a huge contradiction in principles then? Happy to "run a business based on numbers that count by importing from eastern Europe so a lorry/ship travelling 1000's of miles is ok but criticising a RHI funded kiln using local wood because the numbers do count is not acceptable?

That's having your cake and eating it!

Sorry wasn't critising the rhi because the numbers don't add up but based on the fact claims of being eco/carbon neutral. When if that was the fact you would aim to make the most efficient kiln possible utilising heat exchangers insulation etc so that your using the minium heat input to dry the logs as opposed to the most heat input to claim rhi.

On a separate note about the UK has plenty of wood. We have by area around 12%. Lithuania 32%. Latvia 50%. It's certainly noticeable driving round those countries that they have a lot of wood. From looking on the forums sourcing hardwood can be difficult and expensive. It is surprising that with all the people who import that prices aren't lower. If people didn't import I would think there quite a shortage of wood

Source from 2011European countries and their forest cover | Gabriel Hemery

Sorry wasn't critising the rhi because the numbers don't add up but based on the fact claims of being eco/carbon neutral. When if that was the fact you would aim to make the most efficient kiln possible utilising heat exchangers insulation etc so that your using the minium heat input to dry the logs as opposed to the most heat input to claim rhi.

On a separate note about the UK has plenty of wood. We have by area around 12%. Lithuania 32%. Latvia 50%. It's certainly noticeable driving round those countries that they have a lot of wood. From looking on the forums sourcing hardwood can be difficult and expensive. It is surprising that with all the people who import that prices aren't lower. If people didn't import I would think there quite a shortage of wood

Source from 2011European countries and their forest cover | Gabriel Hemery

Hear hear!

Whilst there may be a perception of a lot of trees in this country, it's the British Rail type, producing the wrong kind of leaves. We have demand for hardwood from 80% of our customers, and 20% buy softwood because it is cheaper. We can't source hardwood in this country in the volumes we require at sensible prices. £60 and £70 a tonne makes it actually cheaper to source from the free trade (last I checked) European market. If people think that's wrong, you all have the right of free voting. Vote green party and best of luck to ya. Meanwhile I continue to make money and give my customers what they want within the framework of UK and European law. To say it is wrong to do so, well in actual fact it isn't: it is perfectly legal, encouraged by the vat man and is, in essence the principle of being in Europe in the first place. Jeez!

Hear hear!

Whilst there may be a perception of a lot of trees in this country, it's the British Rail type, producing the wrong kind of leaves. We have demand for hardwood from 80% of our customers, and 20% buy softwood because it is cheaper. We can't source hardwood in this country in the volumes we require at sensible prices. £60 and £70 a tonne makes it actually cheaper to source from the free trade (last I checked) European market. If people think that's wrong, you all have the right of free voting. Vote green party and best of luck to ya. Meanwhile I continue to make money and give my customers what they want within the framework of UK and European law. To say it is wrong to do so, well in actual fact it isn't: it is perfectly legal, encouraged by the vat man and is, in essence the principle of being in Europe in the first place. Jeez!

You my friend... Speak sense!

I am a producer trying to enter UK market.

Ok thanks.

There are maybe 20 companies trying to do that, some sell first class products, very dry well packed, promptly delivered. There are quite a lot of poor suppliers as well, wet, mouldy or no wood at all.

A

Hi Alycidon

I do some wholesale container work in the UK - does your 54 crates equal a filled 20 foot container? These usually hold about 35 cube but shipping containers might be larger. Amazing price per container if that's correct for kiln dried.

Dave

No, a forty footer. 2 wide, 2 tall, 26 double stacked rows and 2 single crates at the back.

A