EU Imported firewood into the UK

billythegoat

as much as it would be nice to sell local logs etc. I'm here to run a business and it numbers that count, for me importing is very cost effective.

drying logs using a kiln on rhi payments in the most inefficient way possible in order to get as much money back in subsidies surely isn't eco/carbon friendly

The kiln setups that i've seen in latvia/lithuania are very efficient setups from what i've seen.

What are the prices of firewood, 1qm delivered ???

Re phrase this please. Are you a home owner looking to buy one cube for your own use, if so please advise your approx location and your local suppliers will contact you.

If you are looking to buy 54 stacked crates and can handle/unload a container then I posted my costs last summer earlier in this thread.

A

as per a previous post,

has anyone put a Geiger counter over the imported timber yet.

Chernobyl and all that. deer still not allowed into food chain from some parts of Scotland, hearsay from a stalker mate.

That's nonsense.

On a related note nature at Chernobyl is thriving, typical article..

What happened to wildlife when Chernobyl drove humans out? It thrived | @GrrlScientist | Science | The Guardian

Shows what happens when humans butt out. Quangos take note, instead of "managing" everything just fence your reserves off and let nature get on with it.

as much as it would be nice to sell local logs etc. I'm here to run a business and it numbers that count, for me importing is very cost effective.

drying logs using a kiln on rhi payments in the most inefficient way possible in order to get as much money back in subsidies surely isn't eco/carbon friendly

The kiln setups that i've seen in latvia/lithuania are very efficient setups from what i've seen.

That's surely a huge contradiction in principles then? Happy to "run a business based on numbers that count by importing from eastern Europe so a lorry/ship travelling 1000's of miles is ok but criticising a RHI funded kiln using local wood because the numbers do count is not acceptable?

That's having your cake and eating it!

It will come down to price not logic. You could replace the word "logs" in this thread with "steel", "electronics", "clothing" or "milk". It is our turn.

For all the moans about RHI, at least the provenance of the wood is key criteria so supplying RHI consumers will always favour local producers. But for non RHI consumers, all the 'benefits' of a global market are landing on our shores daily and are here to stay. Will you compete or get out?