winch advice

Gilly

Hi guys, looking at getting a winch the my defender, and decided on superwinch talon range. Just some advice really (if this wants to be in a different forum, please tell me which ).

Firstly is 12500lbs (5700kg) enough pull for general offroad recovery use, or pulling the odd (small stick) around the yard, or for assisted tree felling (where you would use a pull rope) or do i want to look at a bigger one?

And secondly, synthetic or wire rope? The synthetic is lighter and much safer if it does snap, it doesnt act like a high speed cheese wire! Or for pulling sticks etc, would a synthetic be likely damaged?

This was the winch i had my eye on

Superwinch Talon 12.5SR

Just some other peoples experiences, ideas etc would be nice

Chrz

My only question would be whether you had considered the Hydraulic or pto winch ?

the only reason i ask is that with a Hydraulic or pto winch you dont have a problem with replacing motor parts or upgrading for gigglepin motors etc , we run a hydraulic winch on our 130 and it has proven to be really handy and great for long pulls out of valleys when needed

Hi guys, looking at getting a winch the my defender, and decided on superwinch talon range. Just some advice really (if this wants to be in a different forum, please tell me which ).

Firstly is 12500lbs (5700kg) enough pull for general offroad recovery use, or pulling the odd (small stick) around the yard, or for assisted tree felling (where you would use a pull rope) or do i want to look at a bigger one?

And secondly, synthetic or wire rope? The synthetic is lighter and much safer if it does snap, it doesnt act like a high speed cheese wire! Or for pulling sticks etc, would a synthetic be likely damaged?

This was the winch i had my eye on

Superwinch Talon 12.5SR

Just some other peoples experiences, ideas etc would be nice

Chrz

Hi there!

That is a pretty big winch and would cope with most day-to-day work (excluding, maybe heavy forresty applications)

I have a Ramsey 8000 rph hydraulic on front and warn 16.5 electric on rear.... The electric is faster when you need it. Also you can move the vehicle as well!.... be carefull on the battery requirement neede for that size.

I have wire on all vehicle winches, its cheap & cheerfull. It does need a bit more thought,

though still very workable (good gloves req.)

Steve

You dont say where you are?.

Take a look at David Bowyers web site before you purchase and if you want advice call him.

We use the Goldfish in competition and they have been very reliable and quite cheap.

I would recommend 11mm Dyneema and forget the steel cable.

just a thought... You can pick up a 2nd hand superwinch H14 with bumper and all the fittings for around £700-£800. I did this at the start of the year (pto version) I would prefer a 2nd hand H14 then a new electric setup. The down side is they are heavier and take longer to fit, but 100% reliable, can pull all day long, and no electrical conponents to overheat/get wet etc.

Does anyone know of anyone using an H14 with synthetic rope? as this would lower the overall weight quite a lot. I find cheap electric ones a bit of a gimick.

Im from east devon, so firstfour 4x4 is my local shop. Thanks for all the advice, but i think going down the hydraulic/pto way is just too expensive, and i think it will be the synthetic rope, as its lighter , more workable and safer than the metal wire :)