the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

I think the real clincher will be how fast normality bounces back, if the economy jumps back pretty quickly we should be OK, but a long lock down and then a very slow return to normality will take some surviving, IMO. Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I've been out earning today. Extracting timber at the Croft race track! This little machine continues to surprise me with its capacity and keen attitude to shifting timber! ??

20200413_171800.jpg

20200413_171922.jpg

Near death experience post on the downhill section of the A66. Looking at picture above it could be the ground your parked on but trailer does not look level, it looks nose down as if tow vehicle hitch too low, which would not have helped. I have always set my hitch height so trailer runs level, granted that's easier with old style hitch on landrovers, not a swan neck type. Shogun looks reasonably level though.

• Like 3

Since the near miss incident, I’ve started positioning the machine about a foot further forward than previously. I figured the extra nose weight would be better, but could be wrong? It does sit relatively flat for the most part, but definitely looks worse in the photo. The tow bar itself is a Witter one, and as far as I can gather they are a reputable brand with decent reviews etc. It isn’t adjustable in any way though, so maybe that is an issue. Come to think about it, I do think it maybe sits a bit low for the trailer. I often find myself having to stand on the hitch with one foot to force it down onto the tow bar. Might be time to look into alternatives, any recommendations folks?

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

Since the near miss incident, I’ve started positioning the machine about a foot further forward than previously. I figured the extra nose weight would be better, but could be wrong? It does sit relatively flat for the most part, but definitely looks worse in the photo. The tow bar itself is a Witter one, and as far as I can gather they are a reputable brand with decent reviews etc. It isn’t adjustable in any way though, so maybe that is an issue. Come to think about it, I do think it maybe sits a bit low for the trailer. I often find myself having to stand on the hitch with one foot to force it down onto the tow bar. Might be time to look into alternatives, any recommendations folks?

Smart rig ?

Pedders do a hd suspension set up for the shogun, makes them tow and ride much better. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, IronMike said:

Hi Mike, hope you're well.

I had  an incident, 2/3 years ago, on the A34 in the morning rush hour. Going sideways down the dual carriage way, a-frame of the trailer flat against the rear bumper, did a complete 360, absolutely bricking it... minimal damage, tightened the load carried on but more cautiously. Been towing a 3.5 tonne trailer for the last 15 years. Problem that day was heavy but not overloaded trailer, but the load was uneven ( too front hvy if I recall). Power on up a big hill to keep going didn't ease off before the crest (always advisable to be slowing before you come over the top) and then the trailer was chasing me/trying to overtake.

Essentially you want the load as central as possible on the trailer so that its balanced, ideally so that you could effectively wind the jockey wheel up and the trailer doesn't tip forward or back. You don't want the weight to be either "lifting" the rear of your motor or forcing it down and making the steering light. Also agree that the lorry ruts don't help, I find you tend to get pulled to the side sometimes if one wheel of the trailer finds a rut.

I would agree that maybe a higher hitch would help, try a Dixon Bates adjustable one, check with the tow bar place you use if they're compatible with your attachments..

Hope that kind of helps.

Ernie.

• Sad 1

Hey Ernie!

Cheers for the reply. Sounds like your experience was equally as nasty and terrifying. I’m going to have a mess about with the positioning of the Logbullet on the trailer. See what’s happening. One thing I am looking at now is getting updated and stiff suspension that also raises the ride height by about an inch and half. This might also help the tow bar positioning issue I am having too.

Edited by IronMike

17 hours ago, IronMike said:

I've been out earning today. Extracting timber at the Croft race track! This little machine continues to surprise me with its capacity and keen attitude to shifting timber! ??

20200413_171800.jpg

20200413_171922.jpg

It looks such a little golf-cart of a machine - I cannot get over how much timber it shifts ! K

• Like 1