the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

No pictures of today because I don't want to be the twat with a gopro on his lid on his first day in a new job, but I had a fun half day dismantling a manky old ash so the boss could see if I was physically capable yet. Most of my aches and pains held together fairly well, I could even throw a tophandle around with my (previously broken) left hand quite a bit (not that you'd use a tophandle one-handed, or anything...)
He's only got a 2-man job tomorrow, but he wants me in on Wednesday for a job that needs 2 climbers, so I can't have annoyed him too much today. Which is good to know. Hopefully if I don't kill anyone on Wednesday I'll know if there's any full-time hours going in the future, or if I'll have to go back to sucking off truck drivers at Gloucester Services.

Unfortunately I did trim the nose off a plastic wedge. But he had it coming anyway.

Anyway, cheers for all the support on here, you guys are rad.
Just the truck drivers? That's discrimination! Good to know you have a back up plan, but I do hope the climbing works out for ya!
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

Just the truck drivers? That's discrimination! Good to know you have a back up plan, but I do hope the climbing works out for ya!

No no, all comers taken. I find that with the attached organic farm shop at Gloucester services I could be a bit more discerning about the clientele anyway, and jack the prices a bit.

Who wants to blow ten five quid schlongs when you could instead blow a single fifty quid schlong? It's simple economics.

Anyway, I think this particular line of nonsense has run its course.

I'll try and get a picture of Wednesday's job and you can all see the beautiful bit of Ireland I've landed in. Peace out, yo.

• Like 1

Veteran half dead oak in the way of a new shed.  Planning requirement is to cut it, monolith it and move the cut "cylinder" to a nearby area and crane it into a hole and concrete it in.  The moving and craning is down to builder.  Today it was checked by an ecologist and then our ARB subbys did the coronet cuts/fracture pruning.  Two large lower branches left on to weigh it over when felled and to cushion the fall by breaking. Guy up the tree was great (not me ) Got some nice close ups of his coronet cuts

Rule 1 of garden ownership: Owner could have used a step ladder and handsaw and removed lowest lateral before having kennel erected.

Rule 2 of garden ownership: Have kennel erected then ask tree surgeon to come and remove lowest lateral, without damaging the fragile kennel roof.

Rule 3 of garden ownership: Have neighbours who move into new build house where your large mature Silver Birch overhangs their garden. Neighbours ask us about removing overhanging branches but don't seem to want to talk to the tree owner.

Rule 4 of garden ownership (a rare rule): Be a good regular customer with lots of tree (or did have,lol) who never quibbles with the quote and pays quickly.

Question to tree surgeons, difficult question: Which of the above rules is the best one? Answers on a postcard please.

Rule 1 of my dog: She lives in the house and has no kennel.

IMG_20190102_094802352 (1).jpg

IMG_20181227_102852383.jpg