the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

Nicely done.
Not easy at all for all concerned.  

Cheers, we pollarded the bigger one next to it the day before but I could cut and chuck a lot of the stuff down the bank to the lawn at the bottom because of the height and angles but this one was harder as the bank was steeper and the tree over the flats. I could hear the groundie muttering and swearing under his breath all day[emoji23] You get groundie jobs and you get climber jobs, think this one was a bit kinder on the climber which is nice for a change!

13 hours ago, JaySmith said:

Slippy syc reduction today. Was shroud in ivy but was stripped off the day before so limited growth points. Raised bank was not the groundies friend on this one IMG_3994.jpgIMG_3996.jpg

Very nicely done, but in two years that tree will be bigger and block more light than it did before the job.

I'm not a fan of tickling sycamores, the react with excess growth, IME. I'd sooner leave them be or hit 'em hard.

• Like 2

Very nicely done, but in two years that tree will be bigger and block more light than it did before the job.

I'm not a fan of tickling sycamores, the react with excess growth, IME. I'd sooner leave them be or hit 'em hard.

Thanks. We did hit the one next to it hard, probably removing 4m of growth back to old points I suspect because the tenants over that side were moaning louder! It was almost a job of two halves, one harder reduction one lighter. Just to counter your point, pre the reduction the tree was 80% covered in ivy so that would have blocked some light and removing the ivy would have helped. I do accept though that reducing as you say does stimulate growth and they do often erupt into a mass of shoots. I’m not adverse to a hard reduction - much easier on the body! For me I’m an employee so it can often be monkey see, monkey do!