the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

7 minutes ago, lux said:

IMG_1611348478.481106.jpgIMG_1611348498.995261.jpgIMG_1611348516.548867.jpgIMG_1611348538.952494.jpgIMG_1611348569.789696.jpgIMG_1611348608.192340.jpg

Various planting for a regular client over the last three days including this new field hedge. Native mix of field maple , beech , hawthorn and hornbeam planted in a alternating pattern that repeats every 4 metres. Plants mostly at 2 - 2.5 metres tall.
So nice to be planting a nice hedgerow instead of the usual conifers and laurels etc.
Didn’t escape that completely though. Had some sizeable laurels to plant elsewhere on the property. Messy field is the dig out from the new swimming pool that’s nearly done.

Ready made hedge with those size plants

Ready made hedge with those size plants

That’s the idea , it’s to stop the nosey neighbours peering at the new pool but stay in keeping with the field. Some top quality plants but what a bugger they are to get hold of atm. Lost count of the emails and calls to source this season.
  • Like 2

There  big  hedge plants. Nice way to stake them like a vineyard.

They will  the require more  after care: i.e watering  in summer as ratio of tops to roots looks big compared to smaller bare root stuff?

Yeah it’s the most economical way for large plants. Easily removable after the roots have taken , I’ll nip the posts off with a chainsaw at ground level.

No bare root stock in there. Everything was large rootball or pot grown. It’s planted on a rotational pattern according to planting spec from the nursery to create the instant hedge look, it’s a damp spot too, that said it’s fairly Sandy so yes if there’s a prolonged hot spell a leaky pipe can be run along the base. Those plants were top dollar so nobody wants to see them whither for sure.

I usually provide some typed advice to the customer when I invoice big planting jobs about aftercare. That’s the kind of handover point etc where they become their responsibility. I’m looking forward to seeing it flush in the spring , so nice to get away from planting evergreens !
  • Like 2

Not so much today's work, other than putting the video together. The one with the 2 chippers I managed to crash the mewp before we finished. The second one was as far a it got for that day, then I was off site for the next few days. Anyway I hope you enjoy and spot the flying groundy [emoji849]

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Khriss said:

@ Dan Maynard, admire yr determination in this weather 😦 but would smudge yr number plate in pics incase some scumbag tracks you back to yr premises.  K

Shouldn,t have to worry about that sort of thing Khriss,unfortunately your right though